Duck Breed Focus - Ancona

Who would certify you? Certify you for what? I'm new so I have no idea. Thanks.
I'm new to this too. Before you can ship eggs out of your state, you have to be NPIP certified, and AIA too, I believe. I will be looking into more experienced people when I start researching on what I need to do to become certified, so I can ship hatching eggs if anyone wants any. I'm also careful to keep a purchase history of where and who I get my hatching eggs and ducks from, so I can try and keep track of the lines the ducks are out of.

I used to raise and show rabbits. They have 5 generation pedigrees. I'm not finding that ducks do. lol
So I just keep notes on who I've bought from, where they say their eggs and/or ducks came from, what colors they are and what their markings are like (as well as personalities) . I don't know how others keep track of what lines their ducks are out of, but that's how I do mine.

I'm not quite ready to look into this certification thing yet. I'm sure there are many many others here that know how it works and what it's all about.

Sue :)

Who would certify you? Certify you for what? I'm new so I have no idea. Thanks.
certifications are done by the state and whoever handles your poultry division. Here in Ohio it is the Ohio poultry association. I call them and they send a tester out to my house to do pollurum,typhoid testing and AI testing. It is $100 for a year for 51 to 300 birds on the premises. This testing makes it legal for you to ship across the US to most states. Some states require more paperwork such as Virginia.

I'm new to this too. Before you can ship eggs out of your state, you have to be NPIP certified, and AIA too, I believe. I will be looking into more experienced people when I start researching on what I need to do to become certified, so I can ship hatching eggs if anyone wants any. I'm also careful to keep a purchase history of where and who I get my hatching eggs and ducks from, so I can try and keep track of the lines the ducks are out of.

I used to raise and show rabbits. They have 5 generation pedigrees. I'm not finding that ducks do. lol
So I just keep notes on who I've bought from, where they say their eggs and/or ducks came from, what colors they are and what their markings are like (as well as personalities) . I don't know how others keep track of what lines their ducks are out of, but that's how I do mine.

I'm not quite ready to look into this certification thing yet. I'm sure there are many many others here that know how it works and what it's all about.

Sue :)
I'm getting ready to get out of American Blues. I'm thinking the only way you could do a duck pedigree is to limit exposure to certain drakes, but I haven't seen anything on duck pedigrees. Like you said, I guess you just keep track of where your original ducks or any new ducks from from.

I'm getting ready to get out of American Blues. I'm thinking the only way you could do a duck pedigree is to limit exposure to certain drakes, but I haven't seen anything on duck pedigrees. Like you said, I guess you just keep track of where your original ducks or any new ducks from from.
Guess I could try my own pedigree... we're only keeping 1 drake to 4 or 5 females. That's a good idea. I figured you'd 'get' the pedigree thing, having Blues. I did hollands, lionheads, and finished with mini rex, and dwarf hotots. I wish I could do it again, but my back decided that cleaning cages wasn't in it's future any longer. I gave it up and sold out my stock back in 2009, after a little more than 10 years having fun. Now the ducks are my fun! I LOVE them.

Back
Top Bottom