Duck Breed Focus - Campbell

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Campbell (Khaki Campbell) duck breed was developed near the end of the 1800's by Mrs. Adele Campbell of Gloucestershire, England with a simple meat/utility bird for her family dinners in mind. The unexpected, but splendid, result of her breeding program produced an outstanding laying duck. And while they are not usually raised for meat, Campbell ducks can make high quality, lean roasters. In later breeding experiments Mrs Campbell concentrated on attaining a buff color as that was in vogue at the time. In order to achieve this shade du jour, Mrs. Campbell mated her original Campbell's back to Penciled Runners. The color she got wasn't buff - instead she arrived at a handsome hue which she said reminded her of the uniforms of the British army, and that's how they got the name "Khaki Campbell."

Although created in 1901, the breed was only standardised some years later, in 1926. A white variety of Campbell ducks was also developed by Captain F.S. Pardoe in 1924 and admitted to the standard in 1954. The White Campbell produced a better carcass for the table that could be more readily sold. A Dark Campbell variety was also standardised in 1954. It was created by Mr. H. Humphreys of Devon some years before. His aim was to create a duck that is sex-linked when crossed with a Khaki drake, producing Khaki Campbell ducks and dark looking males that can be sexed from these down colours as day old ducklings.

Details:

Purpose: Dual, though mostly egg laying
Egg laying: 250 to 300+ eggs annually
Weight: Drakes - 5-5.5lb; Ducks 4.4-5lb
Colours/varieties: Khaki, Dark and White

Pic by @Sweetfolly

Pic by @ChaosTheory

Pic by @kysilkies

Pic by @cosbackyard

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/khaki-campbell

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/302654/the-khaki-campbell-duck-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1051424/hatching-khaki-campbells/0_30

Do you own Campbells? Are you a Campbell breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

All right, I'm so excited to see KC's as the duck focus thread! I'm hoping to get a few of these (and Indian Runners) in the spring.
wee.gif

Thanks Sumi for some wonderful breed focus threads!

I love baby ducks (ducklings) they are so cute. That is a cool tuck breed though... I will get Indian runner ducks soon. :D They run vertically, it is funny looking. Anyways thanks for the information and goodbye. ;)

I had ducks until something (coyote or bobcat) got them. I had a KC, Disco. He was a sweetie. I want to get ducks again but will wait until maybe the spring. I've never had babies so I want to experience that. They're cuter than chicks!

Back
Top Bottom