Duck Breed Focus - Rouen

I'm hoping for some help with one of my Rouens. My 3 month old Rouen drake has started acting "drunk". He stumbles around, not sure on his feet and his head is somewhat cocked to the side. He shakes (but not like he is cold, it's like he's dizzy) My husband described it that he looks like he has parkinsons. He eats normal (which is a lot) so has not lost weight and is super active running around all day with the other two. He still swims in the pond. The other two (same age, one duck one drake) are completely normal.

Yesterday I noticed it but it wasn't striking. This morning it's a bit more pronounced. I got a hold of him and gave him a good examination for injuries or something obvious and found nothing. He was pretty spunky and fought me and ran back to his buddies as soon as I put him down.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever seen this before? Unfortunately going to a vet is not an option for me but I have an extensive med kit on hand so hopefully if anyone has suggestions I can get right on it. I wanted to attach a picture or video but it's raining too hard at the moment. I can try to get one later if it's important.

Thank you so much for your help!
IronEagle

Does he do it for an extended period of time or just for a minute? One of my Rouens and one of my Runners do this weird thing where they put their head down low by their feet, at this crooked angle, and have some kind of spasms where their head jerks back and forth. It's really hard to explain but they only do it for a minute and then go back to normal. While it's happening, they kind of walk sideways and act just odd. I've never figured out what it is, but they've done it for six months now and are otherwise fat and healthy.

Does he do it for an extended period of time or just for a minute? One of my Rouens and one of my Runners do this weird thing where they put their head down low by their feet, at this crooked angle, and have some kind of spasms where their head jerks back and forth. It's really hard to explain but they only do it for a minute and then go back to normal. While it's happening, they kind of walk sideways and act just odd. I've never figured out what it is, but they've done it for six months now and are otherwise fat and healthy.
Hi Adalida,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, as of this morning it's constant. They were preening a moment ago and he'd start to clean his back and accidentally roll over on his side. He can right himself, but he jerks around quite a bit. It's crazy how he's going about his normal business but is unsteady walking and with his head cocked to one side.

My husband is trying to get a video so I can post it.

Thanks again,
IE

I know nothing on this, but it sounds a little like wry neck or something nervous, I can't get you a good answer, but I would start giving vitamins and electrolytes immediately since many of these kinds of problems are from a deficiency of some kind. In the meantime, I will try to page some better answers:

@casportpony
@Amiga
@Miss Lydia

I know nothing on this, but it sounds a little like wry neck or something nervous, I can't get you a good answer, but I would start giving vitamins and electrolytes immediately since many of these kinds of problems are from a deficiency of some kind. In the meantime, I will try to page some better answers:

@casportpony
@Amiga
@Miss Lydia
Tevyes Dad,
Miss Lydia answered my PM and thinks it's either that he ate something bad or has a deficiency of niacin. I've got him on an activated charcoal cleanse and sav-a-chick electrolytes. Hopefully he'll pull through.

Thank you so much for the help!
Iron Eagle

Hi Adalida,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, as of this morning it's constant. They were preening a moment ago and he'd start to clean his back and accidentally roll over on his side. He can right himself, but he jerks around quite a bit. It's crazy how he's going about his normal business but is unsteady walking and with his head cocked to one side.

My husband is trying to get a video so I can post it.

Thanks again,
IE
Geez this sounds like the little one may have metal toxicity - or he was short on B vitamins growing up.

If this is new, it really feels like he should be tested for lead, possibly other metals. There is also a bit of a chance it's something viral or even bacterial - I think there's something called bacterial ataxia. Ataxia sounds like what he's doing.

Geez this sounds like the little one may have metal toxicity - or he was short on B vitamins growing up.

If this is new, it really feels like he should be tested for lead, possibly other metals. There is also a bit of a chance it's something viral or even bacterial - I think there's something called bacterial ataxia. Ataxia sounds like what he's doing.
True... coccidiosis can also cause ataxia. Saw one or both in two of my peafowl last year. don't know what cured them, 'cause both were treated with Corid, Baytril and metronidazole.

-Kathy

Thanks all for circling the wagon
big_smile.png
@IronEagle , in the future you would be better off to start a new thread in "ducks" and/or "emergencies / diseases / injuries and cures" the three members I called out as well as many others monitor those forums pretty closely so there you are much more likely to get helpful advice much quicker and with a wider range of experience. I hope your drake recovers.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom