Duck Breeding Prices

Tallen

Hatching
Mar 16, 2023
I am in need of some help determining prices for good quality breeding ducks. We have been raising poultry for a number of years but want to branch out into also raising ducks. I'm not interested in show quality animals but I am interested in purchasing good quality utility and show breeders. We have researched a few ducks with Holderread and Metzer genetics and would be looking at purchasing hens ready for their first lay and also a few drakes. I'm most interested in working with some of the heritage breeds such as buff orpington, magpie, saxony, welsh harlequin, cayuga, khaki campbell, ancona, etc. Two issues: one, it seems really difficult to find breeders willing to part with their good quality breeding ducks. And two, I would like to know rough ball park prices so that I can have a budget in mind and be prepared for what I will need to spend to start up a good quality program. For example, what should I be prepared to pay for ducks ready for their first and/or second lay? How much will a couple of good quality drakes cost? Any help regarding general prices would be great.

I don't know of any place online that will sell full grown birds. Your best bet is to acquire ducklings and go from there.

If you want to acquire adult ducks, probably facebook groups would be the best place. Start posting in various groups in your area to try to acquire what you want.

It varies by region, and one assumes this year's high egg prices, but adult - teen Anconas have been $15 - 20 or flat $100 for a flock on Craigslist for the previous 3 years. I can only recall one person advertising 'I breed for egg laying'. Most are color focused.

From a quality breeder the breeds you listed I have seen $35-$50 usually for breeder to show quality adults and $10-$20 for ducklings. The rarer ones or exceptional quality usually $50-$100.

Back
Top Bottom