Duck bumblefoot update...how to proceed?

I have an update.🙂 My girl has been on Enrofloxacin for 5 days as of yesterday. She’s still bandaged up because there’s a scab although it’s not black but a pale tan color. I’m assuming it’s healthy. But there is still swelling in that area of the foot although a less than before. She’s not limping at all and is happy. Will the swelling go away over time and when can I stop bandaging?

On a side note, I’ve been more aggressive treating my other ducks. One of them had bumbles on the squishy foot pads. One of the bumbles on her had a long stringy pus attached to the scab but underneath is healthy pink flesh. But there’s still swelling. So I’m continuing to treat with sugardine and bandage her up until the scab is no longer brown.

I also watched a video on a product called Banixx. Have you heard of it? Apparently, you just spray it on your duck’s foot 2-3 times a day and let it dry before putting the duck back on the ground. The person said they didn’t wrap the foot and the bumble gradually shrank and disappeared. I’ve been doing it on minor bumbles and cuts on the feet.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/banixx-wound-and-hoof-care-16-oz

Thanks for the info I’ve heard of this product but haven’t ever used it. As for swelling once there isn’t any more infection the swelling should go down and the foot look normal. I’ve always had to remove the infection even when I had mine on an antibiotic but it wasn’t Baytril since the antibiotic was vet prescribed. Sounds like you’re getting on top of it. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I’ve heard of this product but haven’t ever used it. As for swelling once there isn’t any more infection the swelling should go down and the foot look normal. I’ve always had to remove the infection even when I had mine on an antibiotic but it wasn’t Baytril since the antibiotic was ver prescribed. Sounds like you’re getting on top of it. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for the reply. The Enrofloxacin you only use for 5 days before you stop but the swelling is still there. So I don’t know if I need to do it for longer or try a different antibiotic. I guess I’ll just watch the foot for now.

Have you been giving 2x a day for 5 days?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumblefoot-post.is link or 5 days but it says 2x a day f1492463/#post-24896429 I just looked back and saw I had already given you the link it says 2x a day for 5 days.
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, 2x a day for 5 days is what I did. I changed the bandage today and the skin in the affected area is kinda squishy and loose though the swelling hasn’t completely gone down.

Back
Top Bottom