Duck can’t walk

ranchergirl

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
Hi! I have a pekin duck that has had a severe niacin deficiency since I got it as a duckling. She’s about three months old. I was giving her duck pellets with brewers yeast and liquid b3. But she’s gotten to the point where she can’t walk. She was flipping onto the back of her feet and getting around ok but now can’t walk at all. Can I get wrap her feet? Maybe to some cardboard? I really want to help her. She is so sweet

Amounts of both B and brewers would help
For niacin issues especially in bigger breed type ducks like pekin
I use nutritional yeast instead of brewers
It’s a bit better
1tbs to 1cup feed
For niacin issues getting durvet vitaminB complex is best
1ml either on a small treat so duck gets full dose or directly by syringe daily
Adding to water will dilute the dose and not give baby the amount needed to fix the issues

How much b3 and brewers yeast does she get? Have you tried niacin supplements directly?
Amounts of both B and brewers would help
For niacin issues especially in bigger breed type ducks like pekin
I use nutritional yeast instead of brewers
It’s a bit better
1tbs to 1cup feed
For niacin issues getting durvet vitaminB complex is best
1ml either on a small treat so duck gets full dose or directly by syringe daily
Adding to water will dilute the dose and not give baby the amount needed to fix the issues
I have been putting 1ml into mealworms and peas for her. She gets a tablespoon each feeding which is about a cup. My heart is breaking since it had gotten so bad

Feed her only duck feed, no treats until this is resolved.
I agree. Cut back the treats other then 1ml of durvet vitamin B complex ( best to deal with once niacin issues are server )
Can get at TS or on Amazon
Over a few peas like 4-5 type thing or by syringe orally
Mix up 1cup feed and add nutrition yeast 1tbs together then feed her from the mixed
The swimming is great to help take weight off and use the leg
Keep doing that as well
Changing these few things maybe the key
Can also put Nutridrench in her water for the extra all around vitamins she may need
Check the bottoms of her feet to make sure there are no sores or bumble foot starting too
I know this can be a long process and day after day seems like there is no change but all of a sudden they can get better
Just had a duck who had a fungal issue in December
Vets missed it and dealt with the bacterial and that made the fungal worse.
We have now been on fungal meds tomorrow will be 60 days and I only started ti see improvements at day 50
50 days of meds and no change then all of a sudden things were getting better

I agree. Cut back the treats other then 1ml of durvet vitamin B complex ( best to deal with once niacin issues are server )
Can get at TS or on Amazon
Over a few peas like 4-5 type thing or by syringe orally
Mix up 1cup feed and add nutrition yeast 1tbs together then feed her from the mixed
The swimming is great to help take weight off and use the leg
Keep doing that as well
Changing these few things maybe the key
Can also put Nutridrench in her water for the extra all around vitamins she may need
Check the bottoms of her feet to make sure there are no sores or bumble foot starting too
I know this can be a long process and day after day seems like there is no change but all of a sudden they can get better
Just had a duck who had a fungal issue in December
Vets missed it and dealt with the bacterial and that made the fungal worse.
We have now been on fungal meds tomorrow will be 60 days and I only started ti see improvements at day 50
50 days of meds and no change then all of a sudden things were getting better
Thank you, while I have had chickens for a long time this is my first year with ducks. I just want this sweet baby to be ok. She is currently separated from the flock in her own tote inside so I can monitor, will be following all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom