Duck can't walk or stand, and doesn't seem to have any feeling in legs

I have been giving him niacin mixed water most of the time but leave the charcoal water in their for only a half hour or so at a time every 4-6 hours, as he will not allow me to force feed him. His legs are warm, but no warmer than they would normally be, I believe. I'll have to try the massage idea.

I have been giving him niacin mixed water most of the time but leave the charcoal water in their for only a half hour or so at a time every 4-6 hours, as he will not allow me to force feed him. His legs are warm, but no warmer than they would normally be, I believe. I'll have to try the massage idea.
Well if his legs are warm then he must have feeling or at least blood flow. I'm not a vet though so it's all speculation. Just keep up the good work.

Just checking back in. Glad to hear! I received a duck that was returned to me because it was listless from the owner feeding mouldy food. Problem is that I received it too late where I didn't see benefit in performing a flush and tried stress aid to try to pull it through. Hard to make the flush vs. Proceed with treatment call late in the game. The flush could cause more harm than good.

I'll keep watching this post!

Just checking back in. Glad to hear! I received a duck that was returned to me because it was listless from the owner feeding mouldy food. Problem is that I received it too late where I didn't see benefit in performing a flush and tried stress aid to try to pull it through. Hard to make the flush vs. Proceed with treatment call late in the game. The flush could cause more harm than good.

I'll keep watching this post!
So should I stop the charcoal treatments, or...?

Also, his poops are completely back to normal as far as I can tell, and they also smell normal (wasn't going to mention this as I assumed it was just due to him being forced to sit in his own filth until I could change his towels, but he reeked of urine up until this afternoon).

Last edited:
Okay, so in the bath this morning he was able to move his legs a bit!!! He still has a ways to go to be able to walk, but it seems that he's on the road to recovery!

Back
Top Bottom