Duck Coop ideas

tessandherducks

Songster
Jul 10, 2022
England, London
Hello, everyone!I am going to get 2 more Muscovy ducks in the next few weeks to add to my little gang, and I want to make a larger full-time enclosure than the one they currently have.If anyone has a large duck coop, I would love it if you could upload some photos of your duck coops as inspiration for me.Thanks! X
(there will be 5 muscovies so it needs to be decent size)

This is one Idea I have found, but ideally I would like one a bit bigger!

Attachments

• 8096B395-3DBF-4069-85AE-8C0981A08A28.jpeg
    8096B395-3DBF-4069-85AE-8C0981A08A28.jpeg
    714.5 KB · Views: 156
I have made a plan of what I would like. The sides and roof would be made of chicken wire, and for the ducks' safety at night, I would put them in the duck houses with a door which I already have for my ducks at the moment.

this is my plan, if anyone can think of any changes that would be great! 👍

Attachments

• DC3B6F1C-03A4-471F-8B60-C8EFC8B3A9B4.jpeg
    DC3B6F1C-03A4-471F-8B60-C8EFC8B3A9B4.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 47
I have made a plan of what I would like. The sides and roof would be made of chicken wire, and for the ducks' safety at night, I would put them in the duck houses with a door which I already have for my ducks at the moment.

this is my plan, if anyone can think of any changes that would be great! 👍
I strongly recommend not using chicken wire
This will not keep the ducks safe
Many predators can get through it easily
Hardware cloth is the best option but 1/4 inch holes or less is best
My ducks are in an old garage that has cement floor
I took out the window from big garage door and added hardware cloth for ventilation
Made a new man door to add a little duck door in it so I can keep that open in the day
At night it’s locked with a padlock and the man door has a key I also lock
My ducks are safe at night and this helps me sleep much better

I don't know what kind of predators you have but the chicken wire is made to keep poultry in not predators out. I'd also make some kind of covering for your feed and water bowls so if it rains you aren't throwing away food because it is soggy or moldy.
In the UK We only have foxes that come out at night, which is why I put them in the predator-proofed duck houses at night, which are equipped with locks ( for my ducks at the moment we haven’t had any problems with preditors ). And I will make sure to place the food and water under the shelter. Thank you so much!

do you think the sizing is appropriate?

I strongly recommend not using chicken wire
This will not keep the ducks safe
Many predators can get through it easily
Hardware cloth is the best option but 1/4 inch holes or less is best
My ducks are in an old garage that has cement floor
I took out the window from big garage door and added hardware cloth for ventilation
Made a new man door to add a little duck door in it so I can keep that open in the day
At night it’s locked with a padlock and the man door has a key I also lock
My ducks are safe at night and this helps me sleep much better
I will look in to hardware cloth! where I live we only really have foxes as preditors or seagulls when we have ducklings, the foxes only come out at night when they would be in their ducks houses witch are predator proof and have secure locks, but I will definitely look into something more secure anyway x
thanks so much X

It's a good plan.
1. Although ducks make their food wet anyway, you might want a cover of some sort over the dish for when it rains.
2. Some use that fake grass outdoor rug around the pool to help with the mud issue. It can be hosed off.
I am hoping the enclosure will be moveable so I can move it around the field when they get one part muddy. But if it isn’t moveable fake grass is a great idea around the paddling pool.

this is the field X

Attachments

• 30CEE1AF-08F2-4EC1-9340-BF7D556FB29D.jpeg
    30CEE1AF-08F2-4EC1-9340-BF7D556FB29D.jpeg
    847.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 18138CC6-792B-4564-B8E3-E1764625012E.jpeg
    18138CC6-792B-4564-B8E3-E1764625012E.jpeg
    847.4 KB · Views: 48
Storey's guide to raising ducks rec for large breeds coop should be 2-6sq ft per bird depending on breed of course bigger is always better. My Muscovy get into squabbles when in hormones so the more room the better. Plus you may want to have space for a broody one day.

Back
Top Bottom