Duck coop

woods015

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 1, 2014
Would it be cheaper to build a coop or buy one? And where can I get plans to build it or a cheap one to buy? Thanks

You could build the house really cheep if u go to sited where houses r built they throw away alot of good wood that's how I did mine all I had to do was buy screws
they haven't moved into it yet we're still making their run

Last edited:
We are pretty new to raising Mallard ducks. We got 6 ducks in April.

We too are planning on builiding a coop for our 2 drakes and 3 female ducks. We live in Minnesota where winters can be really brutal. What size do we need, can a dog house work...currently they have been "wild" since June. and they hide in the woods. We did just lose one drake a couple weeks ago. (head was eaten and the body left behind. a very sad day!)

We have an outside dog kennel with a cement floor that is not being used. We were going to put a coop in there and close the door at night to keep predators out at night. How are ducks in the winter? How warm do we need to keep the coop at?

We are getting below 30 degrees at night. need to get this coop made soon.

Last edited:
Ducks can do pretty good in the cold cause they can huddle together if cold idk how cold tho is not good... I would make sure.u have a good amount of hay on the cement so it's not so cold

Last edited:
We only have two coming in. We live in Columbus, Ohio but our yard is decent size for the city. Ran into a lady at tractor supply about using a horse mat for the floor to help keep them warm.

We live on a 2acre lot and the ducks have been free roaming. We have a pond in the back - I hope it doesn't get frozen until late December. What things do you provide for the ducks in the winter?

I use old towels and sheets as well as shredded paper They have an indoor area in the garage and sometimes a floor heater turned on low. They definately need protection at night from predators R

We live on a 2acre lot and the ducks have been free roaming.   We have a pond in the back - I hope it doesn't get frozen until late December.  What things do you provide for the ducks in the winter? 

They need some kind of predator proof house. Especially with winter coming they are very easy meals for lots of animals.

Back
Top Bottom