Duck Dilemma - time sensitive

:DI really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice. I'm going to talk to my husband and my friend and see if we shouldn't give the ducks a try. If I do, you can expect to have me frequent this forum with silly duck questions though! You guys are great. If anyone else had any thoughts they'd like to share (especially about keeping duck water thawed in winter!) I'd love to hear it

It's always good having another point of view! I'm so sorry to hear about your poor duck! That must be heart-breaking!
Thank you. It's been very tough and I've cried a lot since learning this yesterday. She's such an awesome duck. Just knowing that I should have done better for her. She deserves better. I will always encourage regular feet inspections to anyone who'll listen from now on. Hopefully her suffering won't be for nothing.

For water in the winter, you could try a deep heated dog bowl. Ducks really just need to be able to fully submerge their bills. KC ducks also are dry/minimal water ducks, so they don't need a pool. They would definitely appreciate a small pool in warmer months though.
Very helpful, thanks! I have a few heated pet dishes so if that's enough to get them through winter, then I'm a potentially happy duck momma :)

I don’t put food an water inside my coops at night. I do use heated buckets for outside many feed stores an TSC carry them. I keep my ducks an chickens in one big coop and haven’t ever had a problem with my drakes trying to mate my chickens but they have their own girls to keep them happy. I have never had KC I have Muscovy an Runner drakes. And mine aren’t b kept In a run they have free access to half acre fenced for day time. Many things can determine how a drake will react to other birds. I also made poop boards under my roosts so the ducks wouldn’t get pooped on.

I don’t put food an water inside my coops at night. I do use heated buckets for outside many feed stores an TSC carry them. I keep my ducks an chickens in one big coop and haven’t ever had a problem with my drakes trying to mate my chickens but they have their own girls to keep them happy. I have never had KC I have Muscovy an Runner drakes. And mine aren’t b kept In a run they have free access to half acre fenced for day time. Many things can determine how a drake will react to other birds. I also made poop boards under my roosts so the ducks wouldn’t get pooped on.
What is your male/female ratio? How do your chickens compare, size-wise, to your drakes? The ducks/drakes are currently in a run with chickens, silkies included, so maybe they wouldn't go hump-nuts?

I have 2 Runner drakes that have 8 females between them and a Muscovy drake that has 4 females. I have LF hens EE’s and Salmon Faverolles down to Chocolate Orpingtons, Cochin bantams and one tiny OEGB hen. I think I’d only bring home the 4 females and one drake if you want to keep a drake. 4 drakes with 4 female ducks plus female chickens most likely would cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom