Duck Dilemma - time sensitive

Fluffy_Butt

Songster
Aug 18, 2020
Wisconsin
Hello everyone!

Situation: I need some advice from you duck-lovers out there. A friend of mine tends to jump into things without really thinking things through, and so has 8 ducks that he doesn't want anymore. He says they're too much work and he doesn't want to deal with them through the winter. He has offered them to me, otherwise he will "process" (kill) them this weekend.

The Ducks: There are 8, (4 males and 4 females), which seems like a unhealthy ratio? I don't even know what breed, except that they're a heavy non-flying duck. The few times I've been to his place, they just run around and don't seem to trust people at all (but maybe that's normal for ducks?)

Me: Now I'm a huge fan for saving the unwanted, but I don't know the first thing about ducks and doubt I have any sort of decent set up for them. I'm moving to a larger place (15+ acres) in a few weeks, but it doesn't have a pond or stream, and only 1 outbuilding that I'm going to have to hurry to convert into a temporary coop for my other birds, so I'd be trying to work that out before the snow starts in earnest. I currently have chickens and turkeys galore and am doing well with them, but ducks seem like a whole different situation. I'm also worried about how rape-y the males supposedly can get, especially with smaller chickens (I have some silkies), and it'd be near impossible to separate everyone until spring.

You: What do you all think? Should I take them on? Are ducks something I can adapt to and give a good life with short notice and little-know-how? Or is it more likely that I'll just end up prolonging their suffering? :( I'm not usually comfortable getting into things unprepared. If I took them and somehow didn't frell it up, is there any chance that they'd grow to trust me a bit (just enough to do examinations without having to trap the poor things) or would they forever be an elusive herd running amok?

I appreciate your time and input!

@Isaac 0
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony

There are many more that keep ducks and chickens together. My ducks are not with my chickens. My ducks have a large pond but right now are being kept in a large fenced in run. They have a kiddie pool in this fenced in area and they do enjoy the pool throughout the day. I absolutely adore my ducks (feel the same about my chickens) and feel like they're easier to care for. As ducklings, I felt completely different (but still loved them). My Drake to duck ratio is off too, but even I worry about your ducks (not that I doubt your ability to manage the situation). You'd need to add a lot of ducks, keep them separated, rehome most of the drakes, or all of the ducks. I wish you the best! Ducks are amazing!

Last edited:
You do not want the drakes attempting to mate your chickens. Chickens have died from this.
That's what I had thought I'd read. If I could whip up a separate area for them or something, I'd feel better about it, but currently I'm leaning toward letting him do what he decided to do. I have to protect the birds I took responsibility for, but it sucks. I know I won't be able to save everything/one that crosses my path, but I wish I could :(

That's what I had thought I'd read. If I could whip up a separate area for them or something, I'd feel better about it, but currently I'm leaning toward letting him do what he decided to do. I have to protect the birds I took responsibility for, but it sucks. I know I won't be able to save everything/one that crosses my path, but I wish I could :(
You could take the ducks but the drakes could cause problems for the ducks and your chickens. I love drakes so much and they're just being drakes, but keeping everyone safe is important.

Would the female ducks possibly be okay in a coop with turkeys or chickens? How do people keep the ducks' water from freezing in winter?

A 1:1 ratio is not at all good for ducks. The females will get overmated and the males will start fighting. If you decide you want the ducks, can you take the hens and have your friend process the drakes? That's probably the best solution because you wont have to deal with separating males, the females wont be at risk anymore, and your friend will get to enjoy some duck meat.

If you do not want to keep the ducks, but do not want them processed, can you foster them and find them good homes?

If you decide to take them all in, you will need to separate the males out. The females can live with your other birds until you have a permanent set up for them. They don't need a full pond, but they do need a tub of water they can fully submerge their bills in to keep them clean. In their permanent set up, they should have something larger. I use a kiddie pool for my ducks, and that is big enough for them. They don't need a pond or stream.

If this is not something you wanted, you are going to hate them. Ducks are way needier than chickens, but like all poultry - are you prepared to spend the money on food, shelter, bedding and medications? Ducks are very prone to illness and bumblefoot. Have you considered that you won’t really be able to take a vacation without serious planning ahead? You will need to be up every morning at the crack of dawn to let them out, and home every night by dusk to lock them up. Ducks are a GIGANTIC PITA and a huge commitment.

@Isaac 0
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony

There are many more that keep ducks and chickens together. My ducks are not with my chickens. My ducks have a large pond but right now are being kept in a large fenced in run. They have a kiddie pool in this fenced in area and they do enjoy the pool throughout the day. I absolutely adore my ducks (feel the same about my chickens) and feel like they're easier to care for. As ducklings, I felt completely different (but still loved them). My Drake to duck ratio is off too, but even I worry about your ducks (not that I doubt your ability to manage the situation). You'd need to add a lot of ducks, keep them separated, rehome most of the drakes, or all of the ducks. I wish you the best! Ducks are amazing!
Sorry, I just saw this. You think ducks are easier than chickens? Could you explain? That's the first I've heard this.

Back
Top Bottom