Duck eggs pipped internally day 24 Night !! One has an external pip but the other nothing on day 26

nklanza91

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Hi they Are Cayuga eggs, they pipped internally on the 24th night and as of today 26 morning only one has pipped externally( this is only a crack though so I don't know of air can go threw!!Will they suffocate or is this timing still normal???

They can hatch really slowly. The most important thing is to make sure your humidity is high at 60%, and to stop opening the incubator. Every time you open it, it sends a blast of cool, dry air in and that can shrinkwrap the membrane around the duckling, inhibiting it's movement and making it so it can't turn in the egg to zip after pipping. You know that's happened when the pip hole gets bigger and bigger, but there's no progress after 48 hours.

I've learned just not to open the lid at all after lockdown. Bump the humidity, and leave it alone. Sometimes for 4 days!

Thankyou so much for your help, I had to open it very briefly this morning because the humidity had dropped down to 50 over night and I needed to refill the water wholes!!I thought it would be fine because the incubator is tiny and the humidity stabilises almost immediately !!Should I worry now??I did sprinkle some tepid water on them when I did this to keep them humid!!I'm on my way back from work now so O will see of there is any progress !!

just leave them as they are

filling water is fine just turn off incubator when doing so that way the fan wont push out loads of humidity

dont mist them

misting is only done from day 10 to day 25 not after or before

Hi they all hatched :) just one has some goo come out its bellybutton!!it looks like guts will it go away or do I need to do something? Thankyou so much

Hi they all hatched :) just one has some goo come out its bellybutton!!it looks like guts will it go away or do I need to do something? Thankyou so much
I just posted on your other thread, it's probably just left over yolk sac, so just leave it alone. it will live off the rest for a couple days thats why they don't eat or drink. Congrats!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom