Duck eggs turning black? HELP! (pic)

Pics

keyt1969

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
I set 21 duck eggs April 25th. Most are due to hatch the 21st (Monday), although some may be Muskovy which means a little longer.

I have turned them myself this whole time (because i dont like auto turners) and had them propped big side up. Everything was perfect up until my last candling on Thurs. Because yesterday was the last day to turn them, I laid them flat and went into lockdown.

Now today some of them the eggshells are stained black, looking like something that has a water stain. I don't know how else to explain it. Does this mean they're dead? Should I leave them and wait and see? The last batch I had one explode in my face and all over the incubator so I'm scared of that happening again. They're not leaking though.

HELP!
hit.gif

Picture.jpg

I was so freaked out i opened it up to take a pic

Last edited:
So sorry for you too ! The turning black is a sign the egg is rotting inside after the embryo dies. I would look for reasons the embryo died. I found this site:http://beautyofbirds.com/deadinshell.html

Of note:

Special Note about Duck / Goose Eggs: Dave Holderread in his book, 'Storey's Guide to RAISING DUCKS" recommends that duck / goose eggs be sprayed or sprinkled with warm water to prevent the egg membranes from drying out and becoming tough during the hatch (potentially resulting in "dead-in-shells). He recommends spraying or sprinkling these eggs with warm water (about 100 degree Fahrenheit) once each day from day 4 to 26. In nature, the hen will get off the eggs and into the water at least once a day to feed and drink. She will then return to the nest and continue to brood the eggs with her wet plumage - naturally wetting down the eggs.

Are you misting the eggs with water ? I hadn't been doing that. Metzer Farms site has more info.

Last edited:
Have you tried to candle it? it could be a blood ring showing through the shell, But I would candle and see what's going on in there.

I candled all of them Thurs and everyone was moving. I candled that one while we had it out and i didn't see anything, but at this point everything is so big it's hard to tell anyway. I didn't see or feel anything moving but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. They weren't due to hatch but one in the same batch has already pipped and some others are moving in the incubator

I am having the same problem right now with some of my eggs turning dark. What happened with yours? I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere. I had five hatch yesterday but not sure if the other 8 are still alive especially since I am seeing color change! Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom