Duck enclosure flooring

tbevans

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
Ok I know it's been discussed but I can't find the thread. Up until now I haven't had any problems with the enclosure being too wet, but we've had lots of rain in a very short period of time and now the floor/ground is nothing but a mud hole. So my question is can I use sand as a base? Should I mix in some small pebbles or would just sand be ok??

You can use sand - but if there is no drainage, it will be like quicksand. You need to make sure water can run off the area - it doesn't take much slope. You could also use stones underneath to allow water to flow through.

I had the same issue, and dumped over 1500lbs of construction sand in the area... we had the intentions of putting pea gravel on top of it, but the sand worked so well, we just left it! So far, it's worked fantastic... the ducks love it, and it's been in for a couple of months and we've yet to need to clean it. No smell.

The only thing I'll say negative is that the ducks "dig" in it. This causes little holes, but they're easily filled, and we don't need to buy grit anymore.

Edit: My advice is to start with sand, and then add gravel as/if you need. Also, we augured a hole in the particularly wet spot (okay, a mini-lake) and dumped gravel to make a poor mans drywell. Leveled it with the surrounding ground and then then put sand over that spot too. No more puddle.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I think I've got it figured out. I dug a trench from their pool, under the fencing, then out to a drainage ditch. I can fill the trench inside the fence with gravel, then spread a thick layer of sand all over the ground isnide the pen..would that work??

Last edited:
That's similar to what I did with good success. I'm not sure how your climate is, etc... but it seems like a logical approach.

Ok..How think of a layer of sand did you do? Like how many inches thick?

Ok thanks to both of you! I've got it half way finished...no to just finish it tomorrow!!

Back
Top Bottom