Duck Expert :D

Duck Rescuer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Georgia
Hey i am the duck rescuer i rescue ducks from danger i am an expert on ducks so if you have any questions just ask me :D
jumpy.gif

goodpost.gif

We have 6 ducks of various domestic breeds. Through the summer they would not go in the coop at night. They preferred to stay in the pond. Now that the pond is frozen they are happy to go in at night. Since they have started doing that though they have a weird morning ritual. They take a few steps out of the coop then sit down. Then take another couple of steps and do it again. All the way until they get to the hole we have kept in the ice so they can drink and splash around a little. Why do they do that? I think maybe they like the feel on their bellies but my dh doesn't think so. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Is there snow on the ground? If so, it sounds like their feet are cold. Many people put hay, straw or shavings on the snow for their birds to walk on.

We have 6 ducks of various domestic breeds. Through the summer they would not go in the coop at night. They preferred to stay in the pond. Now that the pond is frozen they are happy to go in at night. Since they have started doing that though they have a weird morning ritual. They take a few steps out of the coop then sit down. Then take another couple of steps and do it again. All the way until they get to the hole we have kept in the ice so they can drink and splash around a little. Why do they do that? I think maybe they like the feel on their bellies but my dh doesn't think so. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Does sound like they are warming their feet mine do that also my geese.

Last edited:
hi yes thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
i think she is about 12 weeks and we have had her 3 weeks and she started getting bad about 2 weeks ago but seemed to be coping but then in the last ten days it has been really bad, popped into the pong to be with her friends and went back to check on her 10 mins later and she eas on her side with another duck supporting her head bless, so took her out , dryed her up and popped in a bucket where she quickly recovered and begun preening herself. so now she lives mainly inside with us . i tried giving her brwers yeast twice and marmite but no differance and yes i read about the crested gene and its neurological problems with balance etc do u think i am doing the right thing by keeping her alive as she eats well and falls asleep on my lap or do u think its just prolonging her doom thanks jayne
I think that is a decision only you can make as to her quality of life, does she appear to be in pain, is she depressed not eating lost interest in life all these things only you can see. But if she enjoys being with you and still eats and enjoys life then I think she should have all chances no matter how short or long they may be. Bless you for your kindness and love to her.

Hey i am the duck rescuer i rescue ducks from danger i am an expert on ducks so if you have any questions just ask me :D
jumpy.gif

goodpost.gif

Hi duck expert. I found an abandoned baby duckling. I would like to know the breed. If I post a picture, can you maybe tell me. Ty.

Attachments

• 20190208_171549_Film1.jpg
    20190208_171549_Film1.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom