Duck Expert :D

Duck Rescuer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Georgia
Hey i am the duck rescuer i rescue ducks from danger i am an expert on ducks so if you have any questions just ask me :D
jumpy.gif

goodpost.gif

We have 6 ducks of various domestic breeds. Through the summer they would not go in the coop at night. They preferred to stay in the pond. Now that the pond is frozen they are happy to go in at night. Since they have started doing that though they have a weird morning ritual. They take a few steps out of the coop then sit down. Then take another couple of steps and do it again. All the way until they get to the hole we have kept in the ice so they can drink and splash around a little. Why do they do that? I think maybe they like the feel on their bellies but my dh doesn't think so. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have 6 ducks of various domestic breeds. Through the summer they would not go in the coop at night. They preferred to stay in the pond. Now that the pond is frozen they are happy to go in at night. Since they have started doing that though they have a weird morning ritual. They take a few steps out of the coop then sit down. Then take another couple of steps and do it again. All the way until they get to the hole we have kept in the ice so they can drink and splash around a little. Why do they do that? I think maybe they like the feel on their bellies but my dh doesn't think so. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Is there snow on the ground? If so, it sounds like their feet are cold. Many people put hay, straw or shavings on the snow for their birds to walk on.

Does sound like they are warming their feet mine do that also my geese.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom