Duck Expert :D

Looks like it could be a barred black Muscovy.

It looks like these to me.
LL

Hey i am the duck rescuer i rescue ducks from danger i am an expert on ducks so if you have any questions just ask me :D
jumpy.gif

goodpost.gif
Hi duck rescuer, today I was traumatized to see a female mallard kill one of her ducklings... it is so sad, baffling and shocking. Is that something they do, and, if so, why? Thx

Hi duck rescuer, today I was traumatized to see a female mallard kill one of her ducklings... it is so sad, baffling and shocking. Is that something they do, and, if so, why? Thx
It might have been a stray duckling that was not hers, but rather a different duckling that got confused and started following her.

It might have been a stray duckling that was not hers, but rather a different duckling that got confused and started following her.
Thank you for your response. That’s a logical explanation, however, I am almost certain it was one of her own. She is the only mama in the area with babies right now and from day 1 (since about 4-5 days ago) I’ve seen her with 11 babies and now after that incident she is down to 10. If it was indeed her own that she killed, I was just wondering why she would do that. I can’t seem to find any reasonable explanation online for why a mother would do that to one of her young. The baby looked perfectly healthy and like all the others yet it was being rejected. So sad and perplexing! I hear it can happen, but why?

Thank you for your response. That’s a logical explanation, however, I am almost certain it was one of her own. She is the only mama in the area with babies right now and from day 1 (since about 4-5 days ago) I’ve seen her with 11 babies and now after that incident she is down to 10. If it was indeed her own that she killed, I was just wondering why she would do that. I can’t seem to find any reasonable explanation online for why a mother would do that to one of her young. The baby looked perfectly healthy and like all the others yet it was being rejected. So sad and perplexing! I hear it can happen, but why?
Oh and also.. I wanted to add aside from that incident she seems like such a great mother and very protective of her babies which makes it all the more strange.

Back
Top Bottom