Duck Expert :D

LL
can you identify this breed of duckling? I have had many people take a guess but none seem to fit it completely. (I know that the woman I got it from bought it from a breeder but she can't remember the breed name.)

I have 20 ducks, 12 mallards, 3 pekins, 4 blue indian runners and 1 rouen. During the day the run around the yard, we have 6 acres. But not one of them ever goes into the pond. They will only get into the little blue pool, they will not even get the bigger pink pool. Is this odd? How do you get a duck to go into a pond? Thanks

I have 20 ducks, 12 mallards, 3 pekins, 4 blue indian runners and 1 rouen. During the day the run around the yard, we have 6 acres. But not one of them ever goes into the pond. They will only get into the little blue pool, they will not even get the bigger pink pool. Is this odd? How do you get a duck to go into a pond? Thanks
First of all you make sure there aren't snapping turtles in the pond because they will bite off feet and make nasty wounds on water fowl. Then depending on the age of the ducks and how far the pond is from the safety of trees or their house could be another factor. Take the small pool away and make sure they can get in and out of the bigger pool and see if that at least gets them interested in a larger pool.
welcome-byc.gif

LL
can you identify this breed of duckling? I have had many people take a guess but none seem to fit it completely. (I know that the woman I got it from bought it from a breeder but she can't remember the breed name.)
It looks like a blue Swedish to me

HI

I HAVE A MJOR PROBLEM WITH ONE OF MY DUCKS. she is a black crested indian runner and canot stand or balance just falls over backwards or sidewards and cannot get back up, she is also no useless in the pond where she becomes saturated very quickly and starts shivering. she is about 12 weeks old and beautiful but now she is an indoor duck and it is not really practical having a duck inside even though she thinks she is the queen of the sofa
pleas e

advice asap many thanks jayne

HI

I HAVE A MJOR PROBLEM WITH ONE OF MY DUCKS. she is a black crested indian runner and canot stand or balance just falls over backwards or sidewards and cannot get back up, she is also no useless in the pond where she becomes saturated very quickly and starts shivering. she is about 12 weeks old and beautiful but now she is an indoor duck and it is not really practical having a duck inside even though she thinks she is the queen of the sofa
pleas e

advice asap many thanks Jayne
welcome-byc.gif
can you give us a bit more info, how long as this been going on and what do you feed her? has she ever had niacin added to her diet? And are you familiar with the crested gene? and neurological problems from it?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/707110/the-truth-behind-crested-ducks

Last edited:
hi yes thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
i think she is about 12 weeks and we have had her 3 weeks and she started getting bad about 2 weeks ago but seemed to be coping but then in the last ten days it has been really bad, popped into the pong to be with her friends and went back to check on her 10 mins later and she eas on her side with another duck supporting her head bless, so took her out , dryed her up and popped in a bucket where she quickly recovered and begun preening herself. so now she lives mainly inside with us . i tried giving her brwers yeast twice and marmite but no differance and yes i read about the crested gene and its neurological problems with balance etc do u think i am doing the right thing by keeping her alive as she eats well and falls asleep on my lap or do u think its just prolonging her doom thanks jayne

hi yes thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
i think she is about 12 weeks and we have had her 3 weeks and she started getting bad about 2 weeks ago but seemed to be coping but then in the last ten days it has been really bad, popped into the pong to be with her friends and went back to check on her 10 mins later and she eas on her side with another duck supporting her head bless, so took her out , dryed her up and popped in a bucket where she quickly recovered and begun preening herself. so now she lives mainly inside with us . i tried giving her brwers yeast twice and marmite but no differance and yes i read about the crested gene and its neurological problems with balance etc do u think i am doing the right thing by keeping her alive as she eats well and falls asleep on my lap or do u think its just prolonging her doom thanks jayne
I think that is a decision only you can make as to her quality of life, does she appear to be in pain, is she depressed not eating lost interest in life all these things only you can see. But if she enjoys being with you and still eats and enjoys life then I think she should have all chances no matter how short or long they may be. Bless you for your kindness and love to her.

hi

no she does not seem depressed quiete the opposite queen of the sofa lol sitting preening herself and snapping at the kitten who wants to play. she eats fine as long as she is sitting between my legs so we will keep her going as we love her dearly and she is the prettist thing, black crested runner with a speckled white chest and her back is going the deepest green

hi

no she does not seem depressed quiete the opposite queen of the sofa lol sitting preening herself and snapping at the kitten who wants to play. she eats fine as long as she is sitting between my legs so we will keep her going as we love her dearly and she is the prettist thing, black crested runner with a speckled white chest and her back is going the deepest green
you'll have to post some pics she sounds lovely, and also sounds like she is much loved and going to be fine in your care.
Just wanted to encourage you to get her some good quality poultry vitamins and also some niacin or brewers yeast both of these add nutrients that could help with her neurological problems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom