Duck Genetics

BlueO

Chirping
Nov 8, 2023
So I have 4 ducks (2 hens 2 drakes) they are all normal brown and white runners. I have always wanted to have a blue or black one. I have hached 3 eggs from one hen all yellow. I am going to hatch some of the other hen. is there any chance I could get a blue or black? When I bought them they were being sold with black and gray ducklings.

The batch that is incubating is going to hatch on the 17th. Just wondering.

No, not in the way I think you mean. Black is a dominant trait. Therefor, it always expresses itself and cannot be hidden (except under white which codes for no color). So, none of your ducks have it. Did you get your ducks from a feed store or hatchery? If so, the fawn and white should breed true. When they hatch they are almost all yellow. But, if you look close, the runner pattern is visible in the shades of yellow. As for blue, if you are in the US, and your ducks are from a hatchery, the all have two blue alleles. It is why they are so yellow as ducklings. But, it combines with the brown, runner pattern, and dusky to make the fawn and white. Here is an article with pictures: https://www.duskyfeatherswaterfowl.com/pied

No, not in the way I think you mean. Black is a dominant trait. Therefor, it always expresses itself and cannot be hidden (except under white which codes for no color). So, none of your ducks have it. Did you get your ducks from a feed store or hatchery? If so, the fawn and white should breed true. When they hatch they are almost all yellow. But, if you look close, the runner pattern is visible in the shades of yellow. As for blue, if you are in the US, and your ducks are from a hatchery, the all have two blue alleles. It is why they are so yellow as ducklings. But, it combines with the brown, runner pattern, and dusky to make the fawn and white. Here is an article with pictures: https://www.duskyfeatherswaterfowl.com/pied
Thank you. I guess I just have to order some.

Back
Top Bottom