Duck has really bad foot!!!!!

she's been eating normally and swimming alright but she does wobble a bit. What i think i will do is try the epsom salts and antibiotics and soaking it in hot water also in cold water for a few minuets only just to see if it works and if that still doesn't work i will start to think about letting my dad put her out of her misery. And i think she may be crying or something cause there is sticky watery stuff outside her eyes heres a picture of her eyes

i felt it today and there are bubbles next to her eyes producing water sticky stuff
It doesn't sound good especially if your seeing sticky stuff around her eyes now, but then again she may not be bathing good either. do you have water deep enough for her to dunk her head into to keep her eyes and face clean. Looking at her pic makes me think she isn't feeling very good. Now about treatment, make sure the water you use is nice and warm NOT hot, and soak her for at least 20-30 min 2x a day. don't let her drink the water with epsom salt because it works like a laxative. after she has soaked dry her leg then apply the triple antibiotic to the sore. place her on clean bedding with feed and water and give her a chance. It may take some time for this to heal, you'll have to probably do this for a couple days and then decide if you want to continue with this or let dad put her down. I would get an antibiotic to put in her water too in case the infection is inside her body too. Her being dirty on her chest and belly gives me an indication she isn't able to keep herself clean, maybe because she is sick or is dragging herself along, and not able to stand? Tuff decision for sure.

Last edited:
i will get the epsom salts and antibiotics and oxytetracycline hydrochloride for her to drink incase it is in her system. I can't really put stuff in her water cause she is with the other ducks

Will it be alright to put the oxytetracycline hydrochloride in the water the other ducks drink???

i will get the epsom salts and antibiotics and oxytetracycline hydrochloride for her to drink incase it is in her system. I can't really put stuff in her water cause she is with the other ducks

Will it be alright to put the oxytetracycline hydrochloride in the water the other ducks drink???
If thats the only way you can do it then to make sure she is getting it I guess you'll have too. Unless you can separate her for about 7 days till she has had the full course of antibiotics.

i guess i can pop her in the green house and put some straw or something down and a basin of water for her to bathe in. The other ducks they don't have water they have a pond to drink from so i don't think i will have enough stuff to put in the pond. Also my dad says i can take her to the vet as long as i pay for it so i'm going to take her in the same time we take our cats in tomorrow do you think this is a good idea because i know it cost alot of money

last but not least the vet told us that you had to get a perscription to buy antibiotics

Last edited:
i guess i can pop her in the green house and put some straw or something down and a basin of water for her to bathe in. The other ducks they don't have water they have a pond to drink from so i don't think i will have enough stuff to put in the pond.
That would be a good idea, give he time to mend and not be putting weight on her leg. and then she can take her meds and the others won't be getting it.

im taking her to the vet to see if she can give me the antibiotics my dad says i can go but i have to spend my pocket money on going to the vet

im taking her to the vet to see if she can give me the antibiotics my dad says i can go but i have to spend my pocket money on going to the vet
Well I hope you get some good news. and your a great duck mama to spend your own money and take on the responsibility. please let us know what the vet says.
fl.gif

i will keep you posted and i'm hoping for some good new too. We just recently hatched quails, 3 of them and one of them died cause it was premature one died cause the cat got it and the other one died this morning cause i think it was too cold. Lots has been going on so i hope i will have time to look after her properly also we have gotten 4 goats and one of them may be pregnant and give birth in a couple of weeks so every things a bit hectick we also moved the turkeys outside yesterday so everything is happening all at once and my dad is away in the week so it's really hard to get stuff done without him. Thanx for the great advice i don't know what i would do without the internet. Im hoping for the best
fl.gif

Hollie

Back
Top Bottom