Duck Houses

Pics
I'm quite new to the backyard poultry and needing some suggestions. I'm looking to getting some ducklings(Pekin and WH) this Spring and eventually adding each pair of mandarin and wood ducks to the frock. As of now the area I plan to house them is bare dirt that sit right behind the shed with roofing. Since the structure already exist I plan to enclose the area off with hardwire cloth and add the door into the frame so I can go into-n-out off coop My concern is the whole area is sitting on top of bare dirt and I'm not sure of the drainage there. We partially dig into the dirt and its quite soft. My plan is to cover the area with landscape fabric and lay pea gravel with sand mixture, hoping that this will help ease the cleaning and smell control that the ducks can make. Also, the area does not receiving a lot of sunlight, should I be worry about the humidity build-up from the ducks and hosing the area down for cleaning? I plan to create a raise platform and have kiddie pool place there. Not sure what kind of housing do mandarin and wood ducks will require. I plan to do a simple housing that sits low to the ground for the pekin and the WH since I don't want them to be too high off from the ground and risk falling. Will this concept work for the mandarin and wood ducks or do I need to elevate it since they are flighty? Any recommendation is appreciated! Thanks!

I was thinking about building a raised pen/cage for my woodies.I was thinking of using wire for the floor. Is that OK for them or should I use something else? Also what size should it be for like 3 pairs of them or maybe some teals?

I don't think walking on wire is a good thing @DuckDodgers. What I did on my outdoor house is wrap the wire underneath, the way the floor part of my house in constructed is like this: For the frame, there are 2x4"s that run front to back and around the perimeter of the rectangle. Then the plank boards lay perpendicular to these boards on top. So all I did was flip that upside down and stapled hardware cloth (1/4") all around. The hardware cloth side touches the soil, and the plank side touches duck feet (or bedding).
Does that make sense?

I don't think walking on wire is a good thing @DuckDodgers . What I did on my outdoor house is wrap the wire underneath, the way the floor part of my house in constructed is like this: For the frame, there are 2x4"s that run front to back and around the perimeter of the rectangle. Then the plank boards lay perpendicular to these boards on top. So all I did was flip that upside down and stapled hardware cloth (1/4") all around. The hardware cloth side touches the soil, and the plank side touches duck feet (or bedding).
Does that make sense?

Yeah kinda

We don't have a duck house for ours but they have a floating platform out on the water, the trouble is they haven't found it yet or won't swim out to it to use. They stay around the shore and won't swim out very much onto the pond. Any suggestions on helping the ducks get used to the pond and enjoying their freedom?

This picture shows the ducks on the very fist day I turned them out, they found the muddiest spot and just loved it.
roll.png

hi everyone,

dandefrancis you post this I while ago but I'm just wondering if your ducks are free range and if they come back to where they are suppose to sleep at night?
I'm planning to get ducks but I don't know where to put them, and how and where to make their pond. I have been thinking of using a dam near my house but just not sure if they would come back at night and if they would wander off...
thanks

hi everyone,

dandefrancis you post this I while ago but I'm just wondering if your ducks are free range and if they come back to where they are suppose to sleep at night?
I'm planning to get ducks but I don't know where to put them, and how and where to make their pond. I have been thinking of using a dam near my house but just not sure if they would come back at night and if they would wander off...
thanks

I would like to free range my runners and have wondered the same thing ( if they would just run off or if they would stay close to their house and pen.)

Back
Top Bottom