Duck Houses

Pics
Thanks for the kind comments!!

We are new to ducks (actually, we were originally out window shopping for utility trailers, and stopped at TSC to see what they had to offer - I saw the cute little ducklings and . . . well, we ended up going home with several new family members!), but since they will be pets we wanted the best we could do for them :)

Here they are this evening fast asleep (yes Khaki is sleeping in the pool while floating around), after a long day out foraging the yard and some swim time in the soon to be koi pond . .

The 300 gallon bin we picked up last weekend to use as a koi pond, and before it's installed we let the kids play in it today!!

Cheers' and happy ducking!!

Dan

We finished our 'Duckie Palace' this weekend. We've got 3 ducks, 2 Pekins (Chunk and Squirt) and a Khaki Campbell (Khaki) and these are the new digs... It started with a 6'x5' chicken coop built by a local shed manufacturer (and built solid like a shed!). We modified it a bit inside for the ducks by removing the lower roost so they would have ample wing span stretching space, and made a shelf out of the upper roost for food/shaving/etc storage. We then added a protected 6'x8' run to the side for when we aren't able to let them out in the yard.... The run framing is all 4x4 pressure treated lumber, and the floor is made up of 3" of washed 3/8" river stone, covered with a layer of 4" plastic pallets (for air space over the rocks), and a 1" rubber horse stall mat layer on the top. The 'indoor pool' is a 10 gallon low sided plastic wash tub, and there's also a 5 gallon waterer, and a PVC gravity feeder. The mesh side panels are 1/2x1/2 welded, galvanized, vinyl coated wire - stainless stapled to the frame, and sandwiched between the framing and the trim. We put on a 1/2" plywood roof, covered with the steel wall panels of a pole building as the final roofing material. Finished the wood up with a coat of grey paint to match the house and deck, added some black iron hardware and a vinyl rain gutter at the rear roof line for rain runoff, and vinyl gutter at the rear floor for washing the pen out (the rear bottom frame cross member is 1/2" off of the floor to allow the water to pass through the back when hosing the pen out). First go at a duck pen (or anything like this actually), we are quite pleased, and wanted to share!
If money were no object, I'd totally build that. With a clear roof, and pp's pool-over-a-pit idea. And a rain barrel. Maybe next year. Do any of you have grow-out pen ideas for ducklings? I'll be getting some soon, but realized they will need their own space till they get big enough to be introduced to my adult duckie.

Thanks for the kind comments!!

We are new to ducks (actually, we were originally out window shopping for utility trailers, and stopped at TSC to see what they had to offer - I saw the cute little ducklings and . . . well, we ended up going home with several new family members!), but since they will be pets we wanted the best we could do for them :)

Here they are this evening fast asleep (yes Khaki is sleeping in the pool while floating around), after a long day out foraging the yard and some swim time in the soon to be koi pond . .

The 300 gallon bin we picked up last weekend to use as a koi pond, and before it's installed we let the kids play in it today!!

Cheers' and happy ducking!!

Dan

That is the CUTEST pic of them, all cuddled up and yes, one in the pool too. That is quite the pond! wow. they'll be in that Koi pond a lot, we have a small one ourselves the ducks ruin it... never harmed the fish(they are huge) but eat all the plants etc.

Last edited:
We finished our 'Duckie Palace' this weekend. We've got 3 ducks, 2 Pekins (Chunk and Squirt) and a Khaki Campbell (Khaki) and these are the new digs...

It started with a 6'x5' chicken coop built by a local shed manufacturer (and built solid like a shed!). We modified it a bit inside for the ducks by removing the lower roost so they would have ample wing span stretching space, and made a shelf out of the upper roost for food/shaving/etc storage.

We then added a protected 6'x8' run to the side for when we aren't able to let them out in the yard....

The run framing is all 4x4 pressure treated lumber, and the floor is made up of 3" of washed 3/8" river stone, covered with a layer of 4" plastic pallets (for air space over the rocks), and a 1" rubber horse stall mat layer on the top. The 'indoor pool' is a 10 gallon low sided plastic wash tub, and there's also a 5 gallon waterer, and a PVC gravity feeder.

The mesh side panels are 1/2x1/2 welded, galvanized, vinyl coated wire - stainless stapled to the frame, and sandwiched between the framing and the trim. We put on a 1/2" plywood roof, covered with the steel wall panels of a pole building as the final roofing material.

Finished the wood up with a coat of grey paint to match the house and deck, added some black iron hardware and a vinyl rain gutter at the rear roof line for rain runoff, and vinyl gutter at the rear floor for washing the pen out (the rear bottom frame cross member is 1/2" off of the floor to allow the water to pass through the back when hosing the pen out).

First go at a duck pen (or anything like this actually), we are quite pleased, and wanted to share!

That is one impressive set-up! we have "coop" like that in my province i adore them not the price however lol We actually own one very small version for one of the silkie flocks.. solid as a rock is an understatement.

YOu have one wonderful set-up, enjoy!

Well, still a few bugs to work out.....not real happy with how the kiddie pool sits in its space, and will be adding some fall to the roof panels for drainage. But, here is our lil ducks in their new pen, first day and night on their own....I dont think I was this nervous with our children. The pen is expandable and we will be adding either one or two 3 foot tall, 4 foot wide, and 8 foot long sections that will be entirely poultry screened in and sitting on the ground. It will attach to the right end of what we have here. Thanks for looking in.....

We are thinking they are about 5-6 weeks old, weve had them for 1 month....lots of work, but incredibly adorable and so far very friendly and tame. Amazed how fast they grow.....

Here they are the day we brought them home....

Back
Top Bottom