Duck Houses

Pics
i know this is a dumb question but do ducks lay eggs regularly like chickens? also i just made a thread about ducks so please check it out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/916034/should-i-get-a-duck

It's not a dumb question. Different ducks lay different amounts of eggs. Khaki Campbell's lay more then chickens. Stories guide to raising ducks has a list of ducks and how many eggs per year they lay. We have anconas who can lay 240 eggs a year. Ducks also tend to lay longer then chickens and have less diseases

I agree. My ducks are locked in a giant dog house at night with no food or water and they are thriving. We have to lock up all of our poultry due to raccoons. We do have two amazing dogs which have now saved our ducks lives and our chickens lives even though they stay in the house with us at night.

I see two houses here that I like. Can they be combined to make ducks and chickens together?
In general you want to keep them seperate. Some don't with no issues but if you have a drake he will rape the chickens and can kill them and chickens will sometimes peck the ducks and can cause some damage. You can do a duck side and chicken side and just seperate the run (assuming you will have a run).

Here is my duck house. I'm pretty proud of it.

I see two houses here that I like. Can they be combined to make ducks and chickens together?

I don;t like them together... ducks are wet and messy, chickens are dry and PECK ... also drakes can harm chicken hens, do they all? no.. my standard chickens free range and my ducks pretty much ignore them... but it's always possible.

I have a duck and her baby living in my bantam chicken barn.. wish she'd move lol the cockerels in there don't bug her she's set them straight quite a few times but she's messy! and they chickens are silkies so she makes a the floor a bit untidy, she brooded back there that is how she ended up in that location hopefully soon she'll take her kid and move back to the duck housing which is more set-up for ducks and their habits.

It's not a dumb question. Different ducks lay different amounts of eggs. Khaki Campbell's lay more then chickens. Stories guide to raising ducks has a list of ducks and how many eggs per year they lay. We have anconas who can lay 240 eggs a year. Ducks also tend to lay longer then chickens and have less diseases

Yep. That pretty much sums it up.
thumbsup.gif

wow, love this seriously! any break downs on how you made it.. i need more housing here(chicken math PHTTTT duck math!! lol) oh and that looks like ondura roofing?? if so i have that here on a few myself, nice stuff...

Thanks! I used a pallet as a base and framed it out. I used 2'x4' plywood pieces so I didn't have to do as much cutting. The roofing is whatever was at lowes and I used a textured deck paint for the floor we had leftover. I didn't use any plans and just kinda built in my head and went with it.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks! I used a pallet as a base and framed it out. I used 2'x4' plywood pieces so I didn't have to do as much cutting. The roofing is whatever was at lowes and I used a textured deck paint for the floor we had leftover. I didn't use any plans and just kinda built in my head and went with it.

[/URL]
Thank you for the additional pics. Sounds like it is the ondura mine came from Lowes too. Great design, seriously need to steal it lol nice chickens in the last shot, rare breed
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom