Duck Houses

Pics
Where can I buy ducklings?
What kind of duck do you want? I'm partial to welsh harlequins personally, but depending on what you want them for (pet, looks, eggs, meat) will depend on which breed you are most interested in. Once you pick a breed than I would call local feed stores, look at classifieds or craigslist in your area, or just type the breed and buy in a google search and it will bring up hatcheries. I prefer to buy from the feed store because there isn't as much worry about something happening or opening up a box of dead chicks/ducks. It also may be cheaper. I also like to purchase from my community, if you buy from someone who is serious about their ducks then they have breed for good genetics and may be better than just hatchery stock.

Ducks do best in pairs! Even though your interested in them as pets you won't be home all day and they need constant companionship or they get lonely!

I switched out the sand (which was on top of crushed limestone) for round pea gravel. The sand would never dry. The pea gravel dries awesome and drains even better! I can just hose off the rocks and the poop disappears. The smell is also gone. I'm so impressed! I was told if you can walk on it without any pain, it is good for your ducks. I tested it out barefoot and it was just fine - no "ouch" "ooh" and "yow".
I know this is a long shot, but if you're still on this site I was wondering about how you used the gravel for their floor. It sounds like a great idea! You mentioned crushed limestone on the bottom. Do you think I could use just the gravel? I was thinking I could line the bottom of the fence with 2x4 or something so the rocks can't escape. Then add the gravel bed and just hose that off every day. Does that sound like it would work? Also, do you know what size gravel you used? I'm seeing 3/8 inch and 1/2-1 inch options. Would the smaller size or bigger be better?

Last edited:
We use a kiddie pool and inserted a bathtub drain that threads onto a pvc pipe "L" shape so the water can clear the pool and runs down a hill. It has a large bathtub rubber stopper. It works well for cleaning out dirty water. I wish there was a sturdier plug so I could keep a chain hooked to it. The rubber just rips. Also the ducks love to pull the plug so I have to set a rock on it.

I have 12 week old white layer ducks that just moved outside. They get locked up in a 3x4 foot cedar dog house with a small window at night time and then are out in the pen all day.

I know this is a long shot, but if you're still on this site I was wondering about how you used the gravel for their floor. It sounds like a great idea! You mentioned crushed limestone on the bottom. Do you think I could use just the gravel? I was thinking I could line the bottom of the fence with 2x4 or something so the rocks can't escape. Then add the gravel bed and just hose that off every day. Does that sound like it would work? Also, do you know what size gravel you used? I'm seeing 3/8 inch and 1/2-1 inch options. Would the smaller size or bigger be better?

I use pea gravel in mine, it's small and smooth and drains really well. I would think gravel would hurt them. If it would hurt your feet to walk barefoot on it then it will hurt them.

Last edited:
I use pea gravel in mine, it's small and smooth and drains really well. I would think gravel would hurt them. If it would hurt your feet to walk barefoot on it then it will hurt them.

Thank you! That was a typo. It was supposed to say pea gravel not the gravel. Was the pea gravel really expensive? Where did you get it?

Back
Top Bottom