Duck housing question...

Lilyrush

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Western Washington
I just got two Khaki Campbell ducklings for my birthday. Can ducks live in a coop like this? I've mostly been researching baby duck care and haven't quite ventured into permanant living situations but this coop is selling for a really good deal but I wasn't sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

It would be a nice place for ducklings (although I'm not sure whether they would be comfortable with this steep plank to climb up, ducks prefer to stay on level ground) but definetely way too small for adult ducks if you are planning to keep them in there the whole day.
As a place for the night it might work out. But again the question whether they would like to get up the plank. Maybe others here have similiar conditions and can tell you more about this.
It would also be interesting to know just how big this thing is anyway.

That housing looks fine for night confinement and they would still be fine if they had to stay in there a few days because they have yard area and shelter. My duck coop has a ramp, too, but it's not as steep as yours and they go up and down it. You could alter the ramp as necessary. I'll try to post a picture of my thoughts of altering on it. Good luck :)

should be big enough for two ducks. The ramp would at least need some improvement. It would need some rungs to give the ducks a foothold.
It would also be good to know about the air conditioning...a small room like that can heat pretty well in summer. When fresh air cannot flow in (without draft of course) the ducks may suffer from overheating.

Yes, I was going to say that the ramp would need some rungs, too. My ramp doesn't have them, but the ramp of this coop is a lot longer and steeper. Here is my thought:

It says: "An unsteep ramp (pointed arrow) is added which leads up to an added shelf (the other pointed arrow) which leads to the top part of the regular ramp (was there at first; you didn't add it) which isn't as long or steep." I hope you understand what I was trying to tell you, but if not, I will eagerly try to re-word it. By the way, I'm sorry for the bad picture/idea.

Yes, I was going to say that the ramp would need some rungs, too. My ramp doesn't have them, but the ramp of this coop is a lot longer and steeper. Here is my thought: It says: "An unsteep ramp (pointed arrow) is added which leads up to an added shelf (the other pointed arrow) which leads to the top part of the regular ramp (was there at first; you didn't add it) which isn't as long or steep." I hope you understand what I was trying to tell you, but if not, I will eagerly try to re-word it. By the way, I'm sorry for the bad picture/idea.
In other words, create 2 smaller, less steep ramps, rather than one long, steep ramp.

Thanks for the responses! I looked into it further and decided it would just be cheaper to get a dog house and put our own fencing and stuff around it. Then we can give them the room they need and put a small pool/pond in it as well.

Back
Top Bottom