Duck nesting boxes necessary?

Oh! And the initial reason I had that tub full of straw in the space is that I leave a bowl of water in that particular coop and they kept ruining all the bedding every day with water, so I made "waterproof" beds by using the drinking tub for the exact opposite use the designers intended (to keep water out instead of keep water in). Your biggest choice in duck house building is "water inside or outside"

I have a second home for them (for when it is warmer) in the duck garden (where the pond is) I made a floor there that has 2 levels. Just on the inside of the door the floor is about 4" lower than the rest of the area. That is where the water bowl goes. If they spill :rolleyes: (did I type "if"? That should be "when they spill") the water leaks outside over materials that are not damaged by water (and are designed to dry out) but does not go to where the bedding is.

They are wonderful, but you have to decide if part of what you love is the mess. They don't mean to be messy... They were not designed to live in "dry" homes, we made that choice for them when we decided that predator proofing was easier on us when you have walls and floors. They don't make a mess in the pond 🙂 they just ruin the bedding trying to make the coop into a pond.
Yes, our intentions for our animals don’t always result in what we expect. I definitely will be putting water outside of the duck house as I do with my chickens. I also plan to put down vinyl flooring to prevent rot and make clean up easier. I considered a wire bottom floor to make it less messy until I heard it may mess up their feet.

Mine created a nest in their house and lay in their nest. I use shavings and then throw some straw in over top. They use the straw to create a nest. I've seen them arrange rocks outside into a nest. So I'm guessing I may get some outside nests in the spring. But so far mine haven't needed a nesting box.
Wow, they’re strong enough to push around rocks? That’s pretty funny.

Wow, they’re strong enough to push around rocks? That’s pretty funny.
One of their nests they made. Moved all the big rocks out of the center and lined them in a nice circle 😍
signal-2023-01-19-11-26-06-454.jpg

I did the vinyl floor in mine :yesss: superb for cleanup. I bought the cheapest stick on vinyl squares. Easy to cut to fit in the layout you need.
I did the vinyl squares in my chicken coop and they started peeling at the edges and all the litter started getting under them. So this time, I picked up a giant roll of sheet vinyl and will be rolling it out in the duck house and the coop. I got it for $10 at the Habitat for Humanity. I love steals!

I painted all the wood then put it down...maybe that helps. Mine hasn't come up yet!

Edit: I don't have chickens, so I don't think my ducks scratch at it too. I love finding things at habitat...love that you got a roll for so cheap!!

Last edited:
I did the vinyl squares in my chicken coop and they started peeling at the edges and all the litter started getting under them. So this time, I picked up a giant roll of sheet vinyl and will be rolling it out in the duck house and the coop. I got it for $10 at the Habitat for Humanity. I love steals!
Oh! You MUST take pictures and send them along with any 'learnin you do in the process.

I am begging my spouse for consent on linoleum floors for pooh-heavy areas because of the issue of joints, but he is stuck on the idea that it rips too much AND he says it is much to hard to roll out... 😢

Sending you lots of encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom