Duck picking on one of her ducklings

pfd

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Alabama
My duck is the the proud mom of 11 ducklings (peking). One of the 11 is 2 days younger than the rest. All hatched on 06/04/2012 and the last one on 06/06/2012. The youngest one had a leg problem which is all healed and she is healthy but a tiny bit smaller than the rest.

We made the duck run bigger today and now the duck is picking on the youngest one. Only that one and the duckling still keeps following the duck. On the other side of the run I have another hen and the drake, with the hen sitting on a nest.

Should I just take the hen that is picking on her duckling out of the duckling pen and wean them now? All ducklings are spoken for so when can I give them to their new home? They will have a pond etc.

I don't have a clue why the duck is suddenly picking on that one....

Any help is appreciated
idunno.gif

Do you have brooder facilities for the little one? It and a buddy could go in there to give you a little breathing space till all of them can be placed.

It is tough to know why ducks might pick on a younger one. She may sense that it is not as strong as the others.

It is hot here in the upper 90's and temp is not an issue. Right now I pulled the duck out and have all the ducklings separate because I'm affraid she will hurt the little one. Can I just keep them separated and once they are fully feathered give them to the new home? The duck and the ducklings can see each other through the fence.

It might work. I hope those who have raised ducks and sold or rehomed them will check in here with some good experience.

We don't even have a drake right now, so no babies.

Just in case this happens to someone else, here is an update. The youngster is walking fine and no longer being picked on even though we did not separate them.

Back
Top Bottom