Duck pond FAILURE - Kiddie pool CAUTION

Thanks for the idea of the dirty water pump and I realized I have a black, hard rubber water pan from the horses pasture I can build a ramp up to the top after they are bigger and go get a plain kiddie pool-never would have noticed about the plastic stuff until the same thing happened. good to know!!

Ok, here are some photos that show the plastic film peeling off of the kiddie pool. You can get a sense of how much the ducks ate. It is a large-sized pool.

I have also included a photo of the product logo with producer's name.

Last edited:
Our kiddie pool is a GF, too, cannot recall the name, but it is for dogs.

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/bathing...-pool-pet-bath-zid36-5802/cat-36-catid-100096

How about that? Same company, one product so superior to the other. I really like ours - it has held up for three years or so. Much longer than I thought it would.

I guess they made this one more rugged to hold up to animal usage (although it seems children can be just as wild
smile.png
). I will check our local Petsmart to see if they are carrying these right now. Thanks for sharing this Amiga, it would be better for me than splurging on a stock tank. Good to know they last long, too!

Right now, my ducks are sharing a small plastic tote... which they don't mind, but they are definitely more entertained during the day when they have a larger pool
big_smile.png

That's wild, i have a few here never had that happen.. of coarse it does likely depend on the process of how it's made.. stock tanks are good but are investments compared to a kiddie pool.

Do you guys put rocks for steps or anything on the inside of the pool? Or do your ducks not have any trouble getting out?

I'm pretty sure the large rocks I put in there is was scratched the surface to begin with. I was putting these in to make it easy for the ducks to get out, then I would take them out to rinse everything and put them back in. Maybe it is unnecessary?

I should add that my ducks are runners and cannot fly so good, although they can power themselves out of the pool by frantically flapping their wings, foregoing the steps.

Last edited:
We were lucky to get a hand me down pond liner, so no plastic issues. But I have put bricks in each corner so they can stand and get out easily. It seems like some of my ducks are better at getting out of the pool, and one in particular is just a comedy of errors. I worry less about drowning when I know he can stand on the brick and use it as a step out, even if not everybody needs that... Better safe than sorry.

Plus somebody else mentioned that they can have swimming issues down the road when molting.

Do you guys put rocks for steps or anything on the inside of the pool? Or do your ducks not have any trouble getting out?

I'm pretty sure the large rocks I put in there is was scratched the surface to begin with. I was putting these in to make it easy for the ducks to get out, then I would take them out to rinse everything and put them back in. Maybe it is unnecessary?

I should add that my ducks are runners and cannot fly so good, although they can power themselves out of the pool by frantically flapping their wings, foregoing the steps.
We use the rectangle cement blocks -- I think they are about 4X8X1 -- so I stack several on the outside of the pool so they can walk up and then several on the inside so they have 2 -3 steps down into the water and back out again. I usually use them until they are pretty well fully grown. I use them for the ducks- (I also have runners) and for baby geese. They get a little heavy after taking them in and out for several weeks, but I'd rather be safe than have a drowned duck

You can use blocks or wood outside i used to put cement blocks inside but then mentions of chemical leaks? not sure how accurate that is but decided i would skip putting stuff in the pools that could leach chemicals.

Some will dig pools into the ground a bit too.. I recently butted an old one up against the veggie garden that we have closed lol that means it's ground level.

Back
Top Bottom