Duck population crashed last night

tempestinkansas

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
So yesterday all my birds were fine, I got out to the farm today 8 of my malard males were dead, just the malards not the pekings not the cyugas not the mix breeds just the malards. they were all over the grounds not just in one place. no sign of predotors no sign of foul play. I just dont understand. any clues

nothing I same food same everything I called my local coop and they are having me pick up some antiboiatc monday but nothing has changed

Only the mallard males? I've had something similar happen only my pekin male, my cayuga/pekin male, and my cayuga/pekin female. But not JUST the males of one breed.

That is awful. I am so sorry for your loss.

Strange. Are you feeding Layer ration / high calcium food?
X2, that's what I was thinking. Mallards are usually very hardy, but are smaller, so if they ate more of something they shouldn't, they would feel the effects faster and sooner than larger breeds.

Are you SURE they don't have any little bite marks on their skin? I would feel them over really well... sounds like a dog or two!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

The best thing for you to do would be to send one in for a necropsy so you can be certain of what it was. You need to refrigerate one of the bodies until you can get it to a lab.

I would suspect an attack of some kind....but then again, if all the ducks are together, why only the mallards...AND why only the males? Sounds very fishy to me.

Back
Top Bottom