Duck Questions

CubbieFan88

Songster
7 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Texas
OK! So! We currently have 6 lovely ducks (3 boys, 3 girls). Odin (muscovy), Thor (pekin), Loki (muscovy), Freyja (muscovy), Brunhild (grey & white runner), and Hela (black runner). I have ordered 4 more ducks come March. A male Rouen, male Saxony, a female Welsh Harlequin, and a female Silver Appleyard...Norse themed names to be decided later ;). My questions are as follows!

1) What are the major differences between the appleyard and the harlequin? Will they be easily to tell apart? Personality? Size? Etc?
2) What is the deal with the general dislike or distaste of the muscovy ducks? My 3 muscovy are around 6-7 months old so far no real behavior problems. Loki is a bit mischievous (ironically he grew into his name :lau) and Odin lightly nips at the chickens (but they are greedy piranhas who try to prevent the ducks from getting the special treats. We have a mixed flock) but no real big problems per se. I was seeing several articles on even duck people aren't too fond of muscovy ducks and I was wondering why? Or will mine grow into being problems.
3) Can you share your pictures of your ducks of either Appleyard, Welsh Harlequin, or Muscovy ducks??? Please! For both idea purposes, as well as curiosity, and later comparison :D

THANKS IN ADVANCE! Have a great day!

I've had far more problems with mallard derived drakes than with muscovies. That's going to be a lot of drakes for the number of hens that you will have. Have a 'Plan B' in mind in case the drakes start over breeding the hens or fighting.

I've had far more problems with mallard derived drakes than with muscovies. That's going to be a lot of drakes for the number of hens that you will have. Have a 'Plan B' in mind in case the drakes start over breeding the hens or fighting.
Oh goodness! Thank you for sharing that! I looked further into it after you said that. I had several different friends of ours who said we needed equal number of males to females with ducks. Told us they were different than our chickens (1 rooster and 17 hens). I appreciate your help. I feel stupid now for not doing my own research and trusting word of mouth.

As a kid I was able to free range all of my flocks (predators were not as significant a problem). I had a stream at the bottom of our property and created several ponds. Ducks were able to maintain their own territories and many of the mallard derived birds actually formed strong pair bonds. In such a situation one might still be able to get away with many drakes in a flock. I never had a problem with Muscovy drakes 'gang breeding' hens even though they roamed as one flock.

As a kid I was able to free range all of my flocks (predators were not as significant a problem). I had a stream at the bottom of our property and created several ponds. Ducks were able to maintain their own territories and many of the mallard derived birds actually formed strong pair bonds. In such a situation one might still be able to get away with many drakes in a flock. I never had a problem with Muscovy drakes 'gang breeding' hens even though they roamed as one flock.
Yeah, we have no predator issues (at the moment) our dogs help with that. But our flock free ranges all together 2 turkey hens, 6 ducks, and 18 chickens. I never knew about the issues with muscovies till after they were all grown and I started looking into them. I was a bit surprised. Its good to hear that you didn't have issues with them.

Like @sourland said that is too many drakes for your girls. Most try to aim for 4 ducks per drake. I also personally need more females, 4 ducks to 2 drakes, but everyone is getting along so far. I'd try to get more females or remove the drakes.

Keeping drakes with chickens can be a problem. As I'm sure you already know ducks have a corkscrew penis and chickens have no external reproduction organs. If your drakes try to breed your chickens they will seriously injure your girls.

I've had both mallard derived ducks and muscovies and I prefer muscovies. I love the large personalities that come with muscovies! I just like the look and attitude of a muscovy better.

My older, still under a year, drake. His favorite duck is the white one behind him.
Photo Editor-20181231_105421.jpg

5 out of my 6 ducks. Only missing my younger silver drake.
Photo Editor-20181228_135143.jpg

Photo Editor-20181212_082404.jpg

Photo Editor-20181214_125102.jpg

Photo Editor-20181212_082343.jpg

Photo Editor-20181212_082110.jpg

Here's my OG duck.
Photo Editor-20181212_081950.jpg

Photo Editor-20181207_114050.jpg

Photo Editor-20181207_114114.jpg

I believe the white one is a double pied. See the little smudge on her head?
Photo Editor-20181023_143649.jpg

Thanks! She's the most friendly out of the bunch.

Love your birds! All very beautiful. So far I have a soft spot for my muscovies too. The personality of them is larger than life. I definitely note a difference between them and say the pekin or the runners. The look of the muscovy drakes too is impressive.

Yeah, I had heard that before about the drakes and chicken hens. I've been keeping an eye on them all. We had a try or two when it was just the original 4 we got as straight-run ducklings which turned out to be 3 males and a female. The 2 muscovy males started trying stuff with our chicken pullets, but we added the 2 female runners and it hasn't happened since. They don't try anything with the chicken hens anymore, but they don't let our rooster either lol. Our rooster is a huge Brahma pushover. Even the tiny silkie pushes him around. I've already changed the order to 4 females instead. So it should total out to 3 drakes and 7 females after all is said and done. I hope thats enough! If not, we'll just have to get more down the road.

2E6055A2-161A-4BB7-940A-F469A9DE4FDB.jpeg
FAF0F12B-10C7-4931-A766-ECAE1164AF00.jpeg
9B4C3662-4FE6-49CD-89DB-5E07F4DDE350.jpeg
0BAC9685-FC87-4F85-A5BA-ECB7229B76D5.jpeg
Hi,
I live in southern Louisiana (near New Orleans). We have a pond in the back yard that has a lot of ducks and geese. This morning, I woke up and found two eggs on the back porch. I was curious if anyone could tell if they were duck eggs and what we should do. I’ve periodically checked throughout the day and haven’t seen any ducks on the porch or near. And it’s strange they’re just on cement and not in a nest or anything. So does anyone had suggestions for what to do?
I added the pics of the two eggs and a couple pics of the ducks. Maybe it will help to know if these ducks even lay eggs in winter or that one of these ducks don’t use a nest? I don’t know.

Thanks for any information.
Alison

Back
Top Bottom