Duck Release Pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmeister

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Red Bluff, California

My neighbor gave me permission to release my extra male ducks on his private pond, the pond is suffering from an overgrowth of algea and it will be a win win, the ducks will have an abundance of food and can help reduce the algea infestation at the same time. Of course, don't do this on a public water way, it is illegal, but it is perfectly legal to release birds on private property. Lucky ducks to have such a beautiful pond to live on.

Great looking pond but I think the some of the same issues still prevail. Will they be able to fend off predators or fly away from them? One night could see all the male ducks dead.

Doesn't look like there is an island they could rest on so they'll all be sleeping on the banks.

However, even if your neighbor was populating his pond with his own ducks, it would be a great place to let them free-roam and do their own thing, as long as you aren't affected by duck loss due to predators, so I'm glad he lets you do that.

Wow, great pond! It would look even better with a floating duck house :)

It is 100% legal in the state of California to keep domestic ducks on private ponds, and the pond owner becomes the owner of the ducks I release. The algae is a year round food source due to the warm weather, shallow water, and the ducks will also help keep the mosquito's under control and help keep the zika virus at bay. It's a win win for all involved. The ducks get to control algae and the mosquito population rather than get eaten. Yes, predators might take an occasional duck, but that is the case even when ducks are in the backyard.

I think that is great. Have you thought of seeing if he will let you put out a floating duck house. Then they would have a predator proof area to sleep at night. Much better than releasing illegally which is what way too many people do around here.

It is 100% legal in the state of California to keep domestic ducks on private ponds, and the pond owner becomes the owner of the ducks I release. The algae is a year round food source due to the warm weather, shallow water, and the ducks will also help keep the mosquito's under control and help keep the zika virus at bay. It's a win win for all involved. The ducks get to control algae and the mosquito population rather than get eaten. Yes, predators might take an occasional duck, but that is the case even when ducks are in the backyard.
Algae and bugs year round? Somehow this seems like a bad idea.

-Kathy

I thought wild ducks and domestic ducks were different. The domestic ducks aren't used to getting their own food 24/7. So you just release them and nobody feeds them at all? Even the ducks at the local ponds depend on people bringing them food. These are the domestic ducks that people dump at the lake and think they can take care of theirselves.

As long as there isn't a harsh winter that kills off all of the greens domestic ducks can forage fine especially since he most likely won't be mowing down all of his grass. Ducks eat bugs, seeds and grass. As long as there are those there they will find them. Ducks released at a pond at a city or park have little to no access to seed and many are in parks that get cold enough to kill all of the grass and bugs through the winter. So yes those would rely on humans still to feed them.

I thought wild ducks and domestic ducks were different.  The domestic ducks aren't used to getting their own food 24/7.  So you just release them and nobody feeds them at all?  Even the ducks at the local ponds depend on people bringing them food.  These are the domestic ducks that people dump at the lake and think they can take care of theirselves.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom