Duck suddenly lethargic and slow walking Saturday morning

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
My 4 month old Pekin drake suddenly was on the lethargic side saturday morning. Slow walking after being let out of the nighttime enclosure which is highly unusual as they all usually rush to the back yard for their peas. He didn't eat much of anything other than a few peas but drank water from the pool which he sat in most the time he was out or laid under a bush by the house. Not much interest with being with the others which isn't normal. Seemed sleepy. I added a garlic clove to his water and also offered some immune boosting fresh herbs to add to his food. Vetrx respiratory oil added to water as a precaution and a separate pail with an electrolyte/probiotic combination. His food gets brewers yeast/immune support complex almost daily with a waterfowl specific feed. Yesterday he seemed more alert, actually making some noise and his head wasn't always sitting on his chest as it was. He also started foraging more with the others but he doesn't seem to be eating any of the actual feed. He's seemed more alert but today his legs are seeming weak when trying to go up a small hill he has to stop and lay down. And when he gets out of the kiddie pool sometimes he can barely land properly (it's a very small pool, not deep). He's dunking his head in the water as they do to wet their backs which he wasn't doing before but the weak legs and still questionable appetite are concerning. He doesn't seem to have any labored breathing, coughing, wheezing or discharge from the nose. Also some of the drakes have started getting after him this morning (he's separated when in at night) and I'm having to separate them so I'm wondering if they're sensing something is wrong.

I suggest to try giving him Durvet, high level Vit B Complex for a week. Give him 1ml a day by moyth. Best to soak it in a treat and watch him eat it if he improves continue until he is back to normal but add brewer's yeast, or better yet nutritional yeast to his food. 1 tablespoon per cup of pellets or crumbles. And continue that at least until he is 6 months old

My 4 month old Pekin drake suddenly was on the lethargic side saturday morning. Slow walking after being let out of the nighttime enclosure which is highly unusual as they all usually rush to the back yard for their peas. He didn't eat much of anything other than a few peas but drank water from the pool which he sat in most the time he was out or laid under a bush by the house. Not much interest with being with the others which isn't normal. Seemed sleepy. I added a garlic clove to his water and also offered some immune boosting fresh herbs to add to his food. Vetrx respiratory oil added to water as a precaution and a separate pail with an electrolyte/probiotic combination. His food gets brewers yeast/immune support complex almost daily with a waterfowl specific feed. Yesterday he seemed more alert, actually making some noise and his head wasn't always sitting on his chest as it was. He also started foraging more with the others but he doesn't seem to be eating any of the actual feed. He's seemed more alert but today his legs are seeming weak when trying to go up a small hill he has to stop and lay down. And when he gets out of the kiddie pool sometimes he can barely land properly (it's a very small pool, not deep). He's dunking his head in the water as they do to wet their backs which he wasn't doing before but the weak legs and still questionable appetite are concerning. He doesn't seem to have any labored breathing, coughing, wheezing or discharge from the nose. Also some of the drakes have started getting after him this morning (he's separated when in at night) and I'm having to separate them so I'm wondering if they're sensing something is wrong.
This is a duplicate post

I suggest to try giving him Durvet, high level Vit B Complex for a week. Give him 1ml a day by moyth. Best to soak it in a treat and watch him eat it if he improves continue until he is back to normal but add brewer's yeast, or better yet nutritional yeast to his food. 1 tablespoon per cup of pellets or crumbles. And continue that at least until he is 6 months old
I'll check it out, even if I am unable to find it locally (can be hard in our area) or it'll be too long before it arrives online, will be good to have on hand. I've added a brewers yeast/immune support blend to their food pretty much every day since they were probably 2 weeks old. We also have nutritional yeast we've used.

I'll check it out, even if I am unable to find it locally (can be hard in our area) or it'll be too long before it arrives online, will be good to have on hand. I've added a brewers yeast/immune support blend to their food pretty much every day since they were probably 2 weeks old. We also have nutritional yeast we've used.
I bought it from Amazon a few weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom