Duck Tired After Laying First Egg This Year (Second Egg Ever)

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
Hello! I have a Cayuga duck that's about a year and two months old. She was born (as far as I know getting her a few days old) blind in one eye. Outside of that and getting angel wing (which I tried to stop, but she just kept wriggling/pulling out of everything I tried), she seemed to be fine generally. Except that she just never really laid eggs. She did for the first time I think last fall but then stopped. She eats duck feed, mealworms, fresh grass/whatever grubs she finds, etc. And again, always seemed healthy and active.

I just figured she might still be too young to regularly lay, or there was something else in her development that maybe made her not much of an egg layer. (And I wasn't concerned about getting eggs since we just took her in because she was partially blind, along with a runner duck who was born with luxated knees.)

But I just found an egg in her pen. And she's been sitting and sleeping this morning and not really wanting to walk around or quack (she can be very loud with her cackling quacks, lol). I know that my chickens sometimes need a few minutes to perk back up. And even my geese might need some more time than that to chill after laying. But since this is new for me with ducks, and I haven't seen her appear to be this fatigued before (and that she could potentially have other congenital health issues I'm not aware of), I'm not sure at what point I should be concerned or not. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

She was born Blind sure sounds like genetics is playing a part in all of this. So sweet of you to adopt these ducklings no telling what would have happened to them. I read on Gab where a person was at TSC dumpster diving and found a live chick they had thrown away. She took it home and it’s thriving now.

She was born Blind sure sounds like genetics is playing a part in all of this. So sweet of you to adopt these ducklings no telling what would have happened to them. I read on Gab where a person was at TSC dumpster diving and found a live chick they had thrown away. She took it home and it’s thriving now.
Yeah, I've heard they used to toss out the ones that didn't get bought. But they changed it to they have to keep them until they're purchased. It's crazy!

My duck is still in a daze. She still hasn't made much sound if at all. Normally she quacks a lot and has way more energy. She's drinking a little and eating a little, I think. Is there anything I can give her/do for her that might help her feel better?

You might try using some liquid Calcium gluconate 1 ml and see if she might have an egg that needs to be laid. The cal glu will really help move an egg that is having trouble being laid. Also some poultry vitamins can give her a boost Poultry cell is a good one.

You might try using some liquid Calcium gluconate 1 ml and see if she might have an egg that needs to be laid. The cal glu will really help move an egg that is having trouble being laid. Also some poultry vitamins can give her a boost Poultry cell is a good one.
When I looked up Poultry Cell, VetRx showed up as well. Would that have a similar effect? I have that one on hand already, so I was just wondering if I could use it sooner!

Okay! I'll look at getting the Poultry Cell and stuff at the store sometime today.

It doesn't seem like she's really eating though either. She'll feel around in the grass with her bill and maybe eat a little of something, but she doesn't want any mealworms or duck feed that I've seen. (She is still drinking water though.) Do you think trying these at-home supplements and waiting a bit is okay, or should I be more concerned and try to take her to the vet sooner?

If you have a vet knowledgeable that would probably be the best route something is def off with her.I keep poultry cell and many other things just because you never know when you need them. But if she had an infection that would mean antibiotics. So a vet would be best. When they are off their feed that’s when I get concerned

If you have a vet knowledgeable that would probably be the best route something is def off with her.I keep poultry cell and many other things just because you never know when you need them. But if she had an infection that would mean antibiotics. So a vet would be best. When they are off their feed that’s when I get concerned
Is this the right product? https://www.amazon.com/Rooster-Booster-Poultry-Cell-16-Ounce/dp/B007NS0DWW

It always seems like we have some things in stock as we learn more from BYC, but there's always new items that I didn't know about before, haha. The vets aren't close at all (2.5 hours away), so it's more challenging. But at least it's specifically an avian vet!

Back
Top Bottom