Wild rescue Mallard laying almost 20 eggs?!

Mallards can lay 140 eggs per year, sometimes more, so you'll be getting eggs from her all spring and maybe into the summer months.
Huh! Thought it was different from wild and domestic. I just presumed wild ones didn't lay as much as from what I read online...but what do I know!

Looks rather like a Black Duck hen,,, Most wild birds will re nest if they lose theirs for some reason, IE lay more eggs some will try over and over again. Years ago right outside Bodega Bay Ca. I saw a Quail run across the road with 5 or 6 babies in Late September that were just a few days old so they will keep trying..

Looks rather like a Black Duck hen,,, Most wild birds will re nest if they lose theirs for some reason, IE lay more eggs some will try over and over again. Years ago right outside Bodega Bay Ca. I saw a Quail run across the road with 5 or 6 babies in Late September that were just a few days old so they will keep trying..
Ah! She does look a bit different for sure. Should I just keep the eggs there in the nest then? I don't want her to over do it! Since she doesn't have a mate, she might keep going? hmmm

Ah! She does look a bit different for sure. Should I just keep the eggs there in the nest then? I don't want her to over do it! Since she doesn't have a mate, she might keep going? hmmm
No, don't let her keep the eggs. Nothing will hatch from her eggs anyways, and it's not good to let hens brood when you no nothing will come of it. Even if she had a had a male mate, or flock sisters, she'd still be laying, and wouldn't necessarily go broody.

Looking at her again, it does look like she's a Black Duck.

Back
Top Bottom