Duck Tired After Laying First Egg This Year (Second Egg Ever)

Oh, also, we've had calcium gluconate in the past. But once it's opened, I think it only lasted for so long? (But it's such a big bottle that won't get all used.) Do you have recommendations on how to store it? Like if you just buy multiple bottles or storing it somehow to make it last longer?

I keep poultry cell and all liquids in the frig. Also any antibiotics that have been opened. And yes that’s the poultry cell
How long does the open calcium gluconate last in the fridge? I know it has that rubber top thing, so I wasn't sure if it helps it last longer, haha.

You might try using some liquid Calcium gluconate 1 ml and see if she might have an egg that needs to be laid. The cal glu will really help move an egg that is having trouble being laid. Also some poultry vitamins can give her a boost Poultry cell is a good one.
Also, just to update! I did find a broken bottom half of an egg shell in her pen yesterday. I'm guessing the chickens got to it because they will eat any broken eggs. But I noticed her shell was very flimsy and bendable (so probably broke easily if it wasn't already broken when laid?). So I'm thinking it is a calcium deficiency.

And the vet suggested over the phone giving her 0.5 mL a day (though it's hard to get her to actually swallow it, and I know you suggested 1 mL, so I'm wondering if I should try that?). She's been slowly perking back up over the last couple days, too, quacking a little more, though still not eating much duck feed or mealworms. To be fair, she didn't eat a ton of duck feed generally either. She is still foraging in the grass though!

Back
Top Bottom