duck was attacked

Heatherschicks1

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
so I have a friend that has been having a problem with a dog attacking her flock... she is not good with helping them pull threw so she brought them to me... in total she ended up bringing 15+ injured birds with massive injurys.. dislocated legs massive gaping wounds.. I am happy to say all survived... but...

she brought me a duck with 2 small puncture holes on its back end right by his legs... it looked like a dog or something picked it up or caught it by its butt and the canine teeth punctured the holes...

he would not use his legs the first week or so and with a little help he started using them.. but the problem now is he won't open his feet... he can move and bend the joints but won't open his feet to use to support himself... I'm thinking to make something to put on the bottom to force them out to see if that helps but I wanted some advice

Try cutting out two pieces of cardboard (about the size and shape of a ducks web), and putting them on the bottom of the ducks feet, and then position the webs correctly. Carefully, using medical tape, tape the cardboard to the ducks web to make a flipper thing (like in the photo below).

Also I would recommend letting him have a paddle in a warm deepish water (with you supporting him, so he doesn't drown) as this will help him to strengthen his legs again.

Good luck :fl

Back
Top Bottom