Duck with a swollen leg

I really want to take him to a vet. The thing is, I'm the duck caretaker in a rather large family, and naturally we have a lot of expenses that come with that and we don't have a lot of extra cash lying around. That's why this whole thing has been so tough for me. But I'll talk to my parents again and see what they think.

On a brighter note, I did manage to get Meatball to eat a good amount of oregano last night, and I fed him some more today, so I'll see if the swelling improves.

Well, from what I've read it seems like perosis occurs primarily in young birds. Also, his leg isn't twisted or bent outwards like I've seen in other people's cases. I don't mean to second guess the more experienced people here or to offend anyone, but I'm not sure it's a slipped tendon going by the info you guys have shared with me and other stuff I've looked up.

And I'm comfortable treating it if it's something that's treatable, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I know a vet would be the best decision, though.

Last edited:
Hi Gwokakotta, any update on Meatball?

I have a duck that has similar swelling, but secluded to the ankle and not as severe as Meatball's. I'm baffled, once I think I have it figured out, another possibility arises. Thank you!

Well, from what I've read it seems like perosis occurs primarily in young birds. Also, his leg isn't twisted or bent outwards like I've seen in other people's cases. I don't mean to second guess the more experienced people here or to offend anyone, but I'm not sure it's a slipped tendon going by the info you guys have shared with me and other stuff I've looked up.

And I'm comfortable treating it if it's something that's treatable, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I know a vet would be the best decision, though.

Hi Gwokakotta, any update on Meatball?

I have a duck that has similar swelling, but secluded to the ankle and not as severe as Meatball's. I'm baffled, once I think I have it figured out, another possibility arises. Thank you!
Tracy have you been doing any Epsom salt and warm water soaks? can you post a pic?

I had been putting off any treatment that required much handling as I could tell her ankle was pretty sore. In fact, before it became swollen, I was inspecting a minor cut on the bottom of her foot thinking there was a splinter in there causing the slightest limp (almost unnoticeable). I rinsed, prodded a bit, and sprayed with veteracyn and no splinter. No signs of bumble foot either. That cut has healed almost completely. Anyways, the next morning her ankle was swollen and her limp was much worse. I assumed this was caused by me fiddling with her foot the previous night. So I had some regret.

We did an epsom soak last night and the girl hated it, struggled too much and she actually started shaking. I've observed her carefully to ensure the shaking is not related to the ankle, and she does not shake when I'm not aggravating her. So, I've decided it's best not to do any hands on treatments for her as I'm afraid her struggling could worsen the problem. For the past week, I've been keeping her in a pen in the corner of their duck yard to limit walking around and to protect her from the 2 drakes (there are 6 females). I have also been giving her swim therapy in a deeper tub once or twice a day. She's getting pretty sick of being picked up and put in the pen and in the tub. She actually flew out of the tub yesterday (and she's even a runner). Today, I gave her a break from any and all treatment. She's been running with the gang, limping around. I'd like to see her getting more rest, but she does a pretty good job of leading the naps for everyone (she's not afraid to plop down when she really needs it... the others love her and will often times follow her lead).

So now my concern is that it's an infection. We try to avoid antibiotics at all costs, so I'm just doing a ton of research to at least confirm the diagnosis and explore other treatment methods. In all honesty, I'm probably just looking for some peace of mind.

The swelling is noticeable, but not severe and only in the ankle (not in the heal pad, not in the knee). The area is slightly warmer than her other leg. There is no discoloration (bruising, etc.), just a rather large blue vein. I don't know, do you have any ideas Miss Lydia?

Last edited:
I had been putting off any treatment that required much handling as I could tell her ankle was pretty sore. In fact, before it became swollen, I was inspecting a minor cut on the bottom of her foot thinking there was a splinter in there causing the slightest limp (almost unnoticeable). I rinsed, prodded a bit, and sprayed with veteracyn and no splinter. No signs of bumble foot either. That cut has healed almost completely. Anyways, the next morning her ankle was swollen and her limp was much worse. I assumed this was caused by me fiddling with her foot the previous night. So I had some regret.

We did an epsom soak last night and the girl hated it, struggled too much and she actually started shaking. I've observed her carefully to ensure the shaking is not related to the ankle, and she does not shake when I'm not aggravating her. So, I've decided it's best not to do any hands on treatments for her as I'm afraid her struggling could worsen the problem. For the past week, I've been keeping her in a pen in the corner of their duck yard to limit walking around and to protect her from the 2 drakes (there are 6 females). I have also been giving her swim therapy in a deeper tub once or twice a day. She's getting pretty sick of being picked up and put in the pen and in the tub. She actually flew out of the tub yesterday (and she's even a runner). Today, I gave her a break from any and all treatment. She's been running with the gang, limping around. I'd like to see her getting more rest, but she does a pretty good job of leading the naps for everyone (she's not afraid to plop down when she really needs it... the others love her and will often times follow her lead).

So now my concern is that it's an infection. We try to avoid antibiotics at all costs, so I'm just doing a ton of research to at least confirm the diagnosis and explore other treatment methods. In all honesty, I'm probably just looking for some peace of mind.

The swelling is noticeable, but not severe and only in the ankle (not in the heal pad, not in the knee). The area is slightly warmer than her other leg. There is no discoloration (bruising, etc.), just a rather large blue vein. I don't know, do you have any ideas Miss Lydia?
Do you think this came about from the cut on her foot? seems if it's infection from that it would show on the foot also, could she have stepped into a hole while out and about with everyone or jumped down off of something[side of pool] etc? My heavy drake jumped down off the side of the pool a couple years ago instead of using the ramp and limped around for a couple weeks before it healed. I just kept him where he didn't use it much and gave him swim time to ease the pressure and keep his muscle moving.
There is DMSO for live stock I have used it here and have seen no side effects, I got it at TSC and it's in a gel form. I know Amiga uses something I can't think of the name I'll PM her and see if she has any ideas and the name of her product also we make a salve with comfrey and beeswax that I haven't had to use of any injuries but I have it just in case. I understand about antibiotics.

Traumeel is what Amiga likes to use.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to hear an update on the drake. What happened to him? Did he recover?
I have a duck with exactly the same problem. No cuts/injuries, no bumblefoot, but the whole leg is severely swollen. She can barely get around. I have her separated to restrict activity. What happened to the drake? I'm thinking about putting Danielle down. I don't like seeing her in so much pain, but a Vet is out out of the question...

Last edited:
I would LOVE to hear an update on the drake. What happened to him? Did he recover?
I have a duck with exactly the same problem. No cuts/injuries, no bumblefoot, but the whole leg is severely swollen. She can barely get around. I have her separated to restrict activity. What happened to the drake? I'm thinking about putting Danielle down. I don't like seeing her in so much pain, but a Vet is out out of the question...
How do you know No injuries? could she have jumped from something or tripped going in or out of her houses. been stepped on? Have you tried Epsom salt soaks or compresses? Have you tried antibiotics? sounds like an infection or traumatic injury.

Back
Top Bottom