Duck With Limp, Is It Bumblefoot or Something Else?

JenLedger

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
1 year old, female Cayuga, good weight

One of my female cayuga's has been limping for around a week. There have been no signs of an open wound and no other ducks are limping. I am including photos. Her toe is swollen but doesn't have the big black scab that would make me think bumblefoot. It is super warm to the touch so I am thinking about infection though. It is much warmer and swollen than the other foot. There is a bit of a scabby area on the one swollen toe. I am happy to lance that and see if it is infected. I don't see a specific bumble type area though. I am worried I would not get the issue without that specific spot to cut out.

She is eating, pooping and drinking well. They generally free range during the day and would be on all types of surfaces. The run and coop have straw though. We started confining her to the straw lined run last week. It seemed to help a little but now she is worse. We have been soaking the foot for 20 minutes 2x a day the last two days. We are using epsom salt and iodine. Then spraying with wound care and wrapping the foot to keep it dry. A vet visit would be $170, wow. This is a farm duck. I would like to treat her as humanly but as inexpensively as possible. I worked at a vet clinic for 5 years, just not on ducks. I'm not squeamish. Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6211.jpeg
    IMG_6211.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 4
Have you found any resolution? My cayuga’s toe looks just like this and I’ve been searching around here to see if anyone has something similar because it’s swollen and hot with no bumble or scab

Have you found any resolution? My cayuga’s toe looks just like this and I’ve been searching around here to see if anyone has something similar because it’s swollen and hot with no bumble or scab
I’ve not. The soaking in epsom salt and pulling salve really seemed to help. But it’s just gotten worse again this week. I started soaking again and ordered an antibiotic. 😢 I’m so sorry I can’t help more. If you post something and get reply’s let me know. I would love some feedback.

Another thread recommended this antibiotic but I haven’t received it yet.
https://allbirdproducts.myshopify.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

Back
Top Bottom