Duck with prolapsed vent

jenM4

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2022
My 3 year old Pekin has a prolapsed vent it's pretty bad. She has been fine up until yesterday. I moved her inside on a blanket .She is still drinking, I haven't offered her food. I read that you should keep them in a dark room and only give water (to prevent from egg laying). I soaked her in a warm tub of sugar water(to shrink it?). I cleaned it with betadine and put witch hazel on it. One of the things I read said you can give them aspirin for pain and swelling. I'm going to get some later today and give another bath tomorrow with tea tree oil. I'm not sure if there is a egg stuck or not as I'm afraid to mess with it, because there is something that keeps filling up with air. You can hear a air sound and the thing starts to swell up it's like a vain covered sack full of air. I can't figure out what that is. I don't have any vets in my area for ducks. I thought about culling her. But she seems like she wants to fight. I'm at all lose on what to do. I only have two ducks her and her sister (they was rescued together someone bought them and was going to throw them out when they got older). If anyone has any advice or anything at all it would be much appreciated. I have read a lot of things over prolapsed vent. I can't find anything about my particular situation. If anyone knows what that big sac is. I don't want her to suffer but she seems like she's not ready to go yet. I feel so bad for her, but I'm at a complete lose on what I should do. She has been egg bound one time before and I soaked her and it came out pretty easy(soft shelled egg). I have given extra vitamins and calcium to help that and she has not had any problems up until now. She has laid very large eggs before and a few eggs that wasnt shaped right. I also read she will probably need antibiotics I have some animal amoxicillin I can give her. I know it should stay moist so I got lube to put on it. I have tried to add everything I can think of that might be important info for anyone to help, if I'm missing anything feel free to ask. If anyone is in the Steubeville Ohio area and has any knowledge of this or could possibly give her more attention and care than I can please reach out. I will give her and her sister away to a good home as long as she gets the help she needs .
IMG_20221209_163504.jpg

My 3 year old Pekin has a prolapsed vent it's pretty bad. She has been fine up until yesterday. I moved her inside on a blanket .She is still drinking, I haven't offered her food. I read that you should keep them in a dark room and only give water (to prevent from egg laying). I soaked her in a warm tub of sugar water(to shrink it?). I cleaned it with betadine and put witch hazel on it. One of the things I read said you can give them aspirin for pain and swelling. I'm going to get some later today and give another bath tomorrow with tea tree oil. I'm not sure if there is a egg stuck or not as I'm afraid to mess with it, because there is something that keeps filling up with air. You can hear a air sound and the thing starts to swell up it's like a vain covered sack full of air. I can't figure out what that is. I don't have any vets in my area for ducks. I thought about culling her. But she seems like she wants to fight. I'm at all lose on what to do. I only have two ducks her and her sister (they was rescued together someone bought them and was going to throw them out when they got older). If anyone has any advice or anything at all it would be much appreciated. I have read a lot of things over prolapsed vent. I can't find anything about my particular situation. If anyone knows what that big sac is. I don't want her to suffer but she seems like she's not ready to go yet. I feel so bad for her, but I'm at a complete lose on what I should do. She has been egg bound one time before and I soaked her and it came out pretty easy(soft shelled egg). I have given extra vitamins and calcium to help that and she has not had any problems up until now. She has laid very large eggs before and a few eggs that wasnt shaped right. I also read she will probably need antibiotics I have some animal amoxicillin I can give her. I know it should stay moist so I got lube to put on it. I have tried to add everything I can think of that might be important info for anyone to help, if I'm missing anything feel free to ask. If anyone is in the Steubeville Ohio area and has any knowledge of this or could possibly give her more attention and care than I can please reach out. I will give her and her sister away to a good home as long as she gets the help she needs .View attachment 3346204
That looks awful, and might be intestines. But I might be way off. Poor girl....

@Miss Lydia
@ruthhope
@Canadian Wind

Oh my. I have never seen anything like that. I think you need to keep that moist. You may need to let the air out, but please don’t until someone else weighs in. Has there been any trama? Could an air sack have ruptured into whatever is prolapsed?
The air goes out of it but then it fills back up. She was fine yesterday morning when I let them out. I came out maybe 3-4 hours later to change the water in their pool when I noticed it.

She needs a vet asap. I enlarged the picture and it looks like a nail to me too.
I have never seen a prolapse that large other than on a cow and that was on TV. Honestly a vet is what I rec. I don’t believe it will go back in on its own it looks like her whole reproductive trac is outside her body . :(

She needs a vet asap. I enlarged the picture and it looks like a nail to me too.
I have never seen a prolapse that large other than on a cow and that was on TV. Honestly a vet is what I rec. I don’t believe it will go back in on its own it looks like her whole reproductive trac is outside her body . :(
I have been trying to find a vet that will look at a duck I think I may have found one but it's not open till Monday

If she’s still alive by then get her in. In the mean time keep her on either clean old towels or puppy pee pads you don’t want it to get ruptured. Some how your going to have to keep it moist. Do you have Veterycin spray? Trying to think of a way to wet it with out touching it. Give her fresh water and feed and keep her in a semi dark place

Back
Top Bottom