Duck with swollen foot - what to do?

lericson

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
NH
I have a male pekin duck just under 1 year old who seemed to develop a swollen foot and he's not getting any better. He is eating blue seal layer pellets and for the last week and a half (since I noticed the bad foot) I have been supplementing him Niacin but he seems to be getting worse and not better. He used to be able to hobble around on one foot, now he can't hardly move at all.

Here are a few photos:
this is both feet, this was taken about a week ago - the swelling has gotten a bit worse.

top side

under side

Thanks for any help you can offer!

The infection may have gotten into the joint, if that's what it is.

What I would do:

If I could get him to a vet, I would. Meanwhile,

Twice or three times a day if possible, give him time to float in lukewarm water for 20 minutes or so - that will take weight off the leg and improve circulation. Then I would hold the duck or have someone else hold him and apply a warm Epsom salts compress for as long as possible - 5 minutes would be great, but even a few minutes helps. I would look closely at the foot to see if there's still a splinter in it - sometimes there are, sometimes not.

I would follow that with a slather of triple antibiotic (not pain relief kind, it is toxic to ducks I am told) all over the foot and up the leg.

I would be giving him vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics, and think seriously about oral antibiotics in case I don't see improvement in two to four days.

Thanks for the suggestions, reading up on bumble foot. I brought him in for a good swim in the warm bath tub today, he was a bit unsure at first but settled in and started enjoying himself.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a duck with the same issue. Her leg looks just like your photos. What ended up helping? We are assuming infection for now, and she is inside getting the tub baths, for lack of any better ideas.

She can still walk, but has a severe limp and will only stand on one foot.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a duck with the same issue. Her leg looks just like your photos. What ended up helping? We are assuming infection for now, and she is inside getting the tub baths, for lack of any better ideas.

She can still walk, but has a severe limp and will only stand on one foot.
Could she have a splinter or something else in the foot? have you looked at it real close especially where the swelling or lump is, usually with Bumble foot there is a blk scab where the bumble is, which is an infection, warm Epsom salt water compresses and soaks may help to soften the scab. and keeping her from running around a lot till you figure out what it is will help to. [emson salt works as a laxative so don't let her drink the water that it is in. when soaking feet here I like to use a small bucket or a dish pan. and hold on to the duck underneath the chest to keep them from drinking the water, soak for at least 5-10mins as many times during the day you can. you may have to open it if it's bumble but always try other means first.

My duck has the very same thing. Its started as bumble in both feet the left foot got better right away the right was better and than I let her out in the barn yard for a little while and it must have been too much for her and now the joint is swollen and warm. I soak her two or three times a day in the tub and this allows her to use the foot as well. I use vetracyin (sp) and rub and compress her foot. Any other suggestions? Did your ducks foot finally get better?

Hi all. My 6 month old pekin has the same issue noticed just this morning. His left ankle is swollen really bad and underneath. I've separated him from other birds and have him kept in my garage. He looks so pitiful being by himself and the other birds look even worse by not having him outside with them.:hit I can tell it's painful because he's laying down. I'll begin to do the soaks this evening once I get off work but I was wondering if anyone else's duck got better, if so how long did it take?

Hi all. My 6 month old pekin has the same issue noticed just this morning. His left ankle is swollen really bad and underneath. I've separated him from other birds and have him kept in my garage. He looks so pitiful being by himself and the other birds look even worse by not having him outside with them.:hit I can tell it's painful because he's laying down. I'll begin to do the soaks this evening once I get off work but I was wondering if anyone else's duck got better, if so how long did it take?
I have done the soaking twice a day for 30 minutes had her confined in my house in a large dog kennel to limit her movement electrolites, oregano and more. I have finally release her back with the flock and she seems to be doing better, still swollen but not worse. I still compress the joint to give her support. Not sure what else to do for her at this time

Some times if the infection gets out of control they need an antibiotic and about the only way to get them is through a vet now.

@blessedx44 if you can bring in a calm friend for your duck that may help him not feel so alone.

Back
Top Bottom