Duckling and Chick feeding

Bok Choy

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2024
Central Alabama
I have 4 ducklings and 5 chicks that I got from tractor supply a week and a half ago. I have them on chick starter and want to start giving them more snacks, especially niacin for the ducklings. The two yellow buff ducklings are growing SO FAST. Can I supplement brewers yeast and keep everyone all together? When should I start an organic all flock feed?

You can start organic all flock "crumbles" right now and keep them on it all their lives although eventually when closer to full size you can switch to pellets if you like. And yes be sure to add the brewers yeast now the ducklings need it and it won't hurt the chicks. Sprinkle 1 Tab over each cup of feed you give them.
:welcome

Share some pictures of your new babies when you get a chance.

You can start organic all flock "crumbles" right now and keep them on it all their lives although eventually when closer to full size you can switch to pellets if you like. And yes be sure to add the brewers yeast now the ducklings need it and it won't hurt the chicks. Sprinkle 1 Tab over each cup of feed you give them.
:welcome

Share some pictures of your new babies when you get a chance.
Thank you for the welcome message! I’m so grateful for this forum. :jumpy

Right away, I started mixing all flock and chick crumbles with 1 tbs brewers yeast per cup, even though the all flock says it has some niacin. To help them catch up. The chick starter has 18% protein and the all flock has 20%. (Organic purina chick starter and cluck & co all flock) I’m concerned the buff ducklings maybe grew too fast? One of them has a pale pink beak and plops down to sit a lot more frequently than the others.
What vitamins do you recommend to give them a boost that could be okay for the chickies too? Sav-a-chick or nutri-drench are two I’ve seen recommended for ducklings.

Today pink beak had a blood feather on the tip of their wing, and during a little warm shower to remove the blood under their wing I noticed the other wing didn’t look so good either.

IMG_5514.jpeg

I’m probably going to set up a separate area for her because I think she might be getting a little picked on/ pecked at. I’m wondering if the blood feathers could be her health and vitamins could help?

Photo of her crusty eyes and pale pink beak with a mark on it. I gave a warm shower today but I think I can do a better job cleaning her eyes tomorrow, I just didn’t want to over do it.

IMG_5516.jpeg

I hope she’s a her. Haha!

I could post pictures and ramble on and on about them because I love them so much! I’m not sure where to start. 🙈 I might have to make a post about them.

Here is their brooder set up and they all snuggle together even when they had free range of the whole converted garage area.

IMG_5510.jpeg
IMG_5513.jpeg

Here are some pics of when I first got them ❤️

IMG_4724.jpeg

IMG_4765.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

They are adorable. When you say blood feather there was actual blood which means someone probably did peck her it seems when wing and tail feathers start showing it's like a magnet, especially for chicks. The wings do look normal for feather growth. the crusty eye is most likely becasue they don't have a container deep enough to wash out their eyes and nares in. With having chicks in with them may cause a problem. The ducklings need to be able to wash their faces a lot especially when eating and you don't want the chicks to jump into something deep enough they could get water-logged and drown. Might be best to keep them side by side but separated so you can take care of the needs of both.
Pale pink bill may just mean you have a White Layer instead of a Buff? Or did you specifically ask for a Buff?
Rooster Booster "Poultery Cell" is a good one for boosting immune and giving them a good start. I used to use Nutri Drench until some experienced members began recommending Poultry Cell. They also need a different feeder duckling's bills are probably getting too wide to eat properly out of that chick feeder. Sorry I hope I am not coming across like I am picking but just trying to help.They say that waterer is for ducks but I really don't think they can wash their faces like they need to with them. the lower waterer would work for young du8cklings and chicks too and then in the top pic I just switch ed the bootom out so it is deeper as they grow. There are other pics on here too on using milk jugs with hold cut into them just for herads to stick through.
IMG_0548.jpeg IMG_2627.jpeg

Last edited:
They are adorable. When you say blood feather there was actual blood which means someone probably did peck her it seems when wing and tail feathers start showing it's like a magnet, especially for chicks. The wings do look normal for feather growth. the crusty eye is most likely becasue they don't have a container deep enough to wash out their eyes and nares in. With having chicks in with them may cause a problem. The ducklings need to be able to wash their faces a lot especially when eating and you don't want the chicks to jump into something deep enough they could get water-logged and drown. Might be best to keep them side by side but separated so you can take care of the needs of both.
Pale pink bill may just mean you have a White Layer instead of a Buff? Or did you specifically ask for a Buff?
Rooster Booster "Poultery Cell" is a good one for boosting immune and giving them a good start. I used to use Nutri Drench until some experienced members began recommending Poultry Cell. They also need a different feeder duckling's bills are probably getting too wide to eat properly out of that chick feeder. Sorry I hope I am not coming across like I am picking but just trying to help.They say that waterer is for ducks but I really don't think they can wash their faces like they need to with them. the lower waterer would work for young du8cklings and chicks too and then in the top pic I just switch ed the bootom out so it is deeper as they grow. There are other pics on here too on using milk jugs with hold cut into them just for herads to stick through.
View attachment 3792206View attachment 3792211
Pink Billie’s eye’s aren’t crusty anymore. ☺️ there hasn’t been any more blood drawn. I noticed the ducks are doing the most damage pecking and fuzz pulling. I have a quarantine area right beside the main area now for Pink Billie. I’ve used it as a time out area for Jean-Luc the male Rouen that does the most picking and fuzz pulling. I saw him bite one of the chicks too today!

Do time outs work for ducks? I really want to help them stop biting each other. It happens during the day / outside pool time too.

Tractor supply had the breeds labeled for the ducks and chicks. The worker said it was the first time they had this. I got two “buff’s” and two “rouens”. For the chicks, I got two “amber link” and three “blue footed beauties”. 🥰 I wouldn’t be surprised if they were something different! I have lots of pics I could share.

Only one Rouen is quacking (Beverly) and has the most feathers. one buff got the curly tail feather yesterday. Is it possible for “pink billie” to be a girl if she isn’t quacking yet at about 5 weeks? Their peeps sound like boy. Do I have three drakes? 😬

Thank you so much for pointing that out about their feeder!! And waterer too!

Is there anything else I could do for pink Billie? She’s a lot lazier than the others. I’m giving the poultry cell now (1 ounce per gallon of water). Both the buff ducks legs don’t look as healthy as the rouens. Maybe they are a little chunky? I’m worried about her because she seems affected.

IMG_5612.jpeg
IMG_5617.jpeg

I just ordered now brand nutritional yeast. I’ve been using that same brand’s brewers yeast and i’m unclear how much niacin is actually in it.

I use Now brand and have for many years it is good stuff 32 mgs of niacin per 2 Tablespoon of yeast. We use 1 Tab for each cup of feed.

The best for treating one that has a deficiency is the liquid B complex given over a small treat to make sure they get full dose of 1 ml per duckling that is showing the deficiency.

They have plenty of room to get exercise and get their minds off of pecking and feather pulling. I would think once they get in their adult feathers this will stop. But you could try breaking the habit by time out and see if it makes a difference. Also, Blue Kote is another way to distract them from feather pulling once there have been feathers pulled and blood drawn using blue kote to hide it works especially to chickens since they are drawn to red. Blue kote stains so I use the one with the dauber it's easier to use to me than the spray that get on everything.

Back
Top Bottom