Duckling Bonding

mermaidmadi

Chirping
Mar 17, 2017
Waco, Tx
Hi all! New duckling owner. I have 2, 1 week old duckling, and they are best friends. They absolutely hate to be apart. I am trying to bond with them as much as I can. One of them, Sam, is very snugly and lovey with me. The other, Emilio, throws a huge tantrum when I hold him. My chest has been clawed to shreds! So I try to hold both of them together, in the hopes that Emilio will feel comforted by having Sam there. But the opposite effect happens- and then I am left with two screaming "wild child" birds that I'm struggling to hold onto. I am very dedicated and stubborn- but wondering at what point am I causing him more anxiety and damaging what little bond I do have with him? I've tried treats, food, sugar water- he refuses to eat out of my hand unless he is in his "house".

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif
!

I also had two ducklings - Aye (I-A) and Orrun (O-roo), both girls. Aye was pretty calm around us, and if we reached out, she wouldn;t run away - just make those cute little duckling peeps and stand still. Orrun, on the other hand, was pretty skittish. If we reached out to touch her, she would shy away. She wasn't afraid if us, per say, just didn't like that sort of thing at first.
About holding both ducks at once: It depends on how you're holding them. I suggest scooping them both up and plopping them on your lap. If they try to jump off, block them with your arms, and do your best to keep them still. Hopefully, they will eventually calm down, and you'll end up with two ducklings lying on your lap. We figured out that that (On our lap, with no restraints) was how our ducks liked to be held. They'd sit on our lap (Put a towel underneath...), and dabble at our fingers, and make relaxed duck sounds. Good for all.
Here's a good link about taming a duck: http://www.raising-ducks.com/how-to-taming-a-duck/
Really good advice
thumbsup.gif
I hope I helped! Feel free to ask any questions, and keep us updated! And I might try giving food to Emilio wherever he feels comfortable at first, then expanding outside of his house, or comfort zone.

About holding both ducks at once: It depends on how you're holding them. I suggest scooping them both up and plopping them on your lap. If they try to jump off, block them with your arms, and do your best to keep them still. Hopefully, they will eventually calm down, and you'll end up with two ducklings lying on your lap. We figured out that that (On our lap, with no restraints) was how our ducks liked to be held. They'd sit on our lap (Put a towel underneath...), and dabble at our fingers, and make relaxed duck sounds. Good for all. 

Great advice! Very similar what we did with our runt duckling when she still had to stay inside because she was too little. She especially like to have you "hold" her bill.

Yeah i sit down and let all the ducklings run around me. Feed treats from my hand. Within a few days they were no longer afraid of my hand, and they choose on their own to climb on my legs and fall asleep on my lap, most prey animals dont like something grabbing ahold of them and not letting go. It scares them.
But i too have found letting them crawl on me works best. Then they let me pet their heads and mine also like their bills rubbed. And they will fall asleep on my lap and with my hands around them.

Back
Top Bottom