Duckling trying to jump out of brooder

Chickenaddict123

Chirping
Apr 3, 2021
I hatched a duckling last night and let her dry over night in the incubator. I cuddled with her this morning to keep her warm before I could clean the brood box and introduce her to her two sisters. They’re maybe two weeks older than her. They seem fine with her not being too mean or scared of her but I think I bonded too much with her because now that she’s in the brood box she is crying and trying to jump out. It has high walls and she can’t jump out but she won’t calm down and I can’t keep holding her or she will never bond with her sisters. Is it a waiting game or is there something I can do to help her? I don’t want her to stress out too much and I don’t want her to hurt herself trying to jump out she’s still so tiny.

If the other two are not bullying her then leave her alone with them. It will take a few days at least and even up to a week or so for them to fully bond. However, if you keep holding her she will not bond with them and stay bonded to you. She needs to cry it out, but in the end she will be just fine. This boy was a lone hatch last year and imprinted on me while we were waiting for his girls to arrive. He was not happy when I first put them together and left them alone, but now he can’t be without his ladies.
9A36C112-04D9-4E57-A3DC-10659E081BA0.jpeg

I hatched a duckling last night and let her dry over night in the incubator. I cuddled with her this morning to keep her warm before I could clean the brood box and introduce her to her two sisters. They’re maybe two weeks older than her. They seem fine with her not being too mean or scared of her but I think I bonded too much with her because now that she’s in the brood box she is crying and trying to jump out. It has high walls and she can’t jump out but she won’t calm down and I can’t keep holding her or she will never bond with her sisters. Is it a waiting game or is there something I can do to help her? I don’t want her to stress out too much and I don’t want her to hurt herself trying to jump out she’s still so tiny.
Maybe she imprinted on you?!

If the other two are not bullying her then leave her alone with them. It will take a few days at least and even up to a week or so for them to fully bond. However, if you keep holding her she will not bond with them and stay bonded to you. She needs to cry it out, but in the end she will be just fine. This boy was a lone hatch last year and imprinted on me while we were waiting for his girls to arrive. He was not happy when I first put them together and left them alone, but now he can’t be without his ladies.
View attachment 3468503
Ok I can do that. Knowing she’s not gonna harm herself or anything is all I needed.

Back
Top Bottom