Duckling died

Ducklingjibjib

In the Brooder
May 12, 2023
Hi so basically I found a lone duckling on Tuesday around 8 PM in my in ground pool. It was just swimming back and forth. Whenever I would go out to grab it, it would jump out and run around the yard away from me. It was weird since we live in the suburbs and none of our neighbors have ducks. This duckling had to have only been a few days old at most. Anyway I was able to catch it and bring it inside. Gently rinsed it off in the kitchen sink to get the chlorine off and then I put it in a fairly big cardboard box. Put some old socks and a small towel for it to cuddle with and put a small container of water in it. I put some wet oatmeal in too for it to eat. It was doing great into the night. I even saw it sleeping for a bit. I would check every few hours.

That all changed when I checked at around 5:45 AM Wednesday morning. It was dragging itself on the ground. Like its head couldn’t be lifted and legs out. I freaked out for a second and then picked it up to try to give it some comfort. In my hands it basically went back to looking normal but it wasn’t fighting me or making any noise. It died in my hands at 6:05 AM.

I’ve been a complete wreck since. I never planned on raising a duck but this baby only had me and it died in my hands. I just know it was my fault. I messed up somewhere. I just want to know what exactly went wrong. I ended up burying it in my backyard. Thanks for any help. Also, anyone have any idea how a lone duckling even ends up in the suburbs?

Last edited:
Hi so basically I found a lone duckling on Tuesday around 8 PM in my in ground pool. It was just swimming back and forth. Whenever I would go out to grab it, it would jump out and run around the yard away from me. It was weird since we live in the suburbs and none of our neighbors have ducks. This duckling had to have only been a few days old at most. Anyway I was able to catch it and bring it inside. Gently rinsed it off in the kitchen sink to get the chlorine off and then I put it in a fairly big cardboard box. Put some old socks and a small towel for it to cuddle with and put a small container of water in it. I put some wet oatmeal in too for it to eat. It was doing great into the night. I even saw it sleeping for a bit. I would check every few hours.

That all changed when I checked at around 5:45 AM Wednesday morning. It was dragging itself on the ground. Like its head couldn’t be lifted and legs out. I freaked out for a second and then picked it up to try to give it some comfort. In my hands it basically went back to looking normal but it wasn’t fighting me or making any noise. It died in my hands at 6:05 AM.

I’ve been a complete wreck since. I never planned on raising a duck but this baby only had me and it died in my hands. I just know it was my fault. I messed up somewhere. I just want to know what exactly went wrong. I ended up burying it in my backyard. Thanks for any help.
I don't know much about ducklings, but I'm sure someone will be along who might be more knowledgeable. I'm really so sorry. :hugs

Was it possible that the duckling got to cold inside?

Welcome to BYC!
That’s my working theory. Is it normal for them to be all splayed out like that when dying due to being too cold? That’s the part that doesn’t add up to me. From what I’ve seen online the pics of dead ducklings due to it being too cold show them all scrunched up.

That’s my working theory. Is it normal for them to be all splayed out like that when dying due to being too cold? That’s the part that doesn’t add up to me. From what I’ve seen online the pics of dead ducklings due to it being too cold show them all scrunched up.
Sorry your welcome to BYC is such a sad one.

You did your best for that little fluffie and gave it love in its final hour. Ducklings, like all newborns, are fragile lives. I rescue and rehab ducks and this time of year is the busiest as little ones get left behind for many reasons in the wild. Our wildlife rehabbers in St Augustine, Florida are currently overwhelmed with mallard ducklings and advertising for help.

The first hours are critical. The ducklings need to be warm, hydrated and fed to get enough calories in them to live and grow. I am set up with the equipment to resuscitate ducklings: a heat lamp, oral rehydration solution and ducky crumbles and in an emergency will stay up feeding a new arrival all night.

The face down stretched out position is common in my experience for a collapsed duckling (or a deptessed duckling.)

I don't know what kind of duckling yours was: wood duck ducklings are very difficult to care for and have a high mortality. Cold ducklings need warming. Dehydrated duckling need fluids -- I use pedialyte solution as it contains the right amount of glucose to get some calories into a little life. A sick duckling will not drink on its own and needs very careful dripping of a drop of liquid into the side of its bill as often as every 10-15 minutes. Once the duckling is warm and taking fluids, it needs duck starter crumbles. I offer just a couple stuck to a wet finger tip. Again this is every 10 to 15 minutes. You gave love and kindness but weren't able to provide the emergency care. I think your little one probably collapsed from a combination of dehydration and lack of food, likely made worse by being cold. Only an experience rehabber could have done more than you did.

Thank you for caring and for doing your best for that little one. Take comfort from knowing you could not have done more and that you gave it so much love at the end.

I held it for an hour after it stopped moving. There was no life left in it. Its eyes just stayed open after. When I set it down, it just fell to its side, stiff as a toy duckling, like rigor mortis had already set in. I just feel terrible about how it’s life ended. I tried warming it up with my body heat but that didn’t help, I also tried giving some water and it just wouldn’t take. I know I tried to give it comfort but I can’t help but think about how scared out of its mind it must have been. A giant monster is picking it up and it’s in all this pain. Probably desperately hoping for its mom to come back. I’m pretty sure it was a mallard. Thank you

Sorry your welcome to BYC is such a sad one.

You did your best for that little fluffie and gave it love in its final hour. Ducklings, like all newborns, are fragile lives. I rescue and rehab ducks and this time of year is the busiest as little ones get left behind for many reasons in the wild. Our wildlife rehabbers in St Augustine, Florida are currently overwhelmed with mallard ducklings and advertising for help.

The first hours are critical. The ducklings need to be warm, hydrated and fed to get enough calories in them to live and grow. I am set up with the equipment to resuscitate ducklings: a heat lamp, oral rehydration solution and ducky crumbles and in an emergency will stay up feeding a new arrival all night.

The face down stretched out position is common in my experience for a collapsed duckling (or a deptessed duckling.)

I don't know what kind of duckling yours was: wood duck ducklings are very difficult to care for and have a high mortality. Cold ducklings need warming. Dehydrated duckling need fluids -- I use pedialyte solution as it contains the right amount of glucose to get some calories into a little life. A sick duckling will not drink on its own and needs very careful dripping of a drop of liquid into the side of its bill as often as every 10-15 minutes. Once the duckling is warm and taking fluids, it needs duck starter crumbles. I offer just a couple stuck to a wet finger tip. Again this is every 10 to 15 minutes. You gave love and kindness but weren't able to provide the emergency care. I think your little one probably collapsed from a combination of dehydration and lack of food, likely made worse by being cold. Only an experience rehabber could have done more than you did.

Thank you for caring and for doing your best for that little one. Take comfort from knowing you could not have done more and that you gave it so much love at the end.
Thank you for the kind words. I just wish I could have saved it. Maybe if I had sat with it all night I would have noticed.

I am sorry that you weren't able to save the duckling. But, you gave it the best care you knew how. That baby was in a bad place when you found it, and you at least tried to help. Not everyone would have.
Thank you, I really did try. I just feel that I should have paid more attention. Maybe this wouldn’t have happened if I had sat with it all night. I truly thought it was okay until I saw it.

Don't beat yourself up. You aren't a professional rehabber -- who also might not have been able to save the baby. You didn't leave it alone to drown, exhausted in a pool, and you provided as much care as you possibly could. No act of kindness is ever wasted.

I understand the guilt, however. I once found a baby bird that had fallen from a very tall tree near one of my coops. I did my best to save it, digging up worms to feed it and trying to keep it warm. I was relieved when an adult bird flew into the box where I had put it on top of the coop. I didn't realize the adult wasn't trying to help the baby - - she was attacking and killing it. I found it bloodied body shortly afterward.

Back
Top Bottom