Duckling feeding question about protein and niacin

Chelsnmitch

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
I know protein has been discussed over and over, but I was wondering why then is the protein level higher in most feed available and not others? When/How was it determined that protein causes the angel wing problem? I ask this because I was looking at feed for ducklings and ducks. All the feed available that I looked at is 18% or higher (I have a list at the bottom of the post). If protein was the issue, you would think (or I do) nutritionists would lower it. And what about niacin? Most feeds have it but some don’t. They supplement in other ingredients for the Vitamin B3. Again, wouldn’t nutritionists be consulted?
All the things I read say “lower protein” and “need niacin”. I am curious if anyone knows the why?

Manna Pro starter grower 22% protein 35 mg/lb niacin
Purina duck feed pellets 19% protein 27 mg/lb niacin
Purina flock raiser 20% protein 65ppm niacin
Nutrena Country Feeds duck 18% protein
Nutrena all flock 20% protein
Mazuri waterfowl starter 20% protein
Mazuri waterfowl breeder 17% protein
Mazuri waterfowl maintenance 14% protein no niacin but does have fish meal and brewers dried yeast
Dumor duck feed 22% protein 35 mg/lb niacin

Last edited:
What is exactly the question? Are you wondering what to feed ducklings?
I was wondering why feed is made with high protein if that is what causes angel wing. It is so confusing how much I need to lower the protein for 4 to 8 week ducklings and then lower more for 8 to 18+ week ducklings. They are 16 days right now so trying to figure out what to feed. Looking at labels I see high protein but then I read that high protein causes angel wing. So confused

I was wondering why feed is made with high protein if that is what causes angel wing. It is so confusing how much I need to lower the protein for 4 to 8 week ducklings and then lower more for 8 to 18+ week ducklings. They are 16 days right now so trying to figure out what to feed. Looking at labels I see high protein but then I read that high protein causes angel wing. So confused
So this is a topic of a lot of debate and no absolute answer. From everything I have read Angel wing is primarily caused by genetics. When flocks with angel wing had others with angel wing brought into the flock, the frequency of angel wing went up. You see it especially in geese and swans where they have breed them to grow faster. With the high protein feed, I read that it more increased the risk of angel wing in those already predisposed to it. But malnutrition and toxins can also potentially cause it, but there is not a lot of evidence that confirms it yet. Also injuries to the wing can also potentially cause it. So there are a lot of things that can cause angel wing.

I have always feed my ducks a high protein diet. Mine get 20% protein feed all their life and I don't have angel from it. I use to drop the protein concentration but I find my ducks healthier and their feathers look much better with higher protein levels. The bigger thing with duck feed is to make sure they have plenty of naicin and other nutrients in their diet.

I use chick starter till 2 weeks it’s 21-% protein. I switch to grower it’s 16% protein. I transition starting with 1/4-3/4 ratio for 2 days then 1/2-1/2 for 2 days then 3/4-1/4 for 2 day’s then fully on grower by week 3
Protein is important to help them the first few weeks
I have a boy with angel wing and I didn’t know about the protein issue till I took him to the vet at 6-7 weeks. Tbey gave me heck ( in a nice way ) but said it’s my feed as ducks grow faster then chicks they don’t need that much protein or the bones grow to fast
We were unable to fix his wing as he wouldn’t keep the wraps on
I talk to my breeder and she has never even had any bird with angel wing and none on her flock of khaki
I learned after that to switch feed earlier
My boy and his wife have had well over 30
babies and not one angel wing
So it’s not in the gene it was my fault for not knowing enough info before getting ducks
I make sure when I sell a duckling or my eggs I give all the info needed to have healthy strong ducks
I didn’t know about niacin at that time either and just got lucky I didn’t have leg issues happen
I started using nutritional yeast on my first batch of babies and haven’t had any leg issues
My young ducks are strong and healthy
I use is till week 10 then after that a few times a week I sprinkle some on the feed
I can’t get duck feed where I am so I have to use chick food
I was told niacin issues is even more in goslings and they need it more then ducklings as my friend raises goslings

So this is a topic of a lot of debate and no absolute answer. From everything I have read Angel wing is primarily caused by genetics. When flocks with angel wing had others with angel wing brought into the flock, the frequency of angel wing went up. You see it especially in geese and swans where they have breed them to grow faster. With the high protein feed, I read that it more increased the risk of angel wing in those already predisposed to it. But malnutrition and toxins can also potentially cause it, but there is not a lot of evidence that confirms it yet. Also injuries to the wing can also potentially cause it. So there are a lot of things that can cause angel wing.

I have always feed my ducks a high protein diet. Mine get 20% protein feed all their life and I don't have angel from it. I use to drop the protein concentration but I find my ducks healthier and their feathers look much better with higher protein levels. The bigger thing with duck feed is to make sure they have plenty of naicin and other nutrients in their diet.
Thank you

I tried giving layer feed to a laying duck (Purina says to do this in Canada, but the US Purina does not say the same thing). I found the protein was too low for her. I gave her Turkey food which has a higher protein with yeast. When I do that she is more even tempered. If she only has layer food she demands mealworms and earthworms but if she has higher protein food she doesn't care so much about the insects. Also the calcium in chicken layer food was too low for her, she ate the eggshells from the chickens as though she needed them badly. (not just a snack but a need)

By the way (not to add to the confusion) some here say they add the niacin to their drinking water (dissolve it into the water)

I know protein has been discussed over and over, but I was wondering why then is the protein level higher in most feed available and not others? When/How was it determined that protein causes the angel wing problem? I ask this because I was looking at feed for ducklings and ducks. All the feed available that I looked at is 18% or higher (I have a list at the bottom of the post). If protein was the issue, you would think (or I do) nutritionists would lower it. And what about niacin? Most feeds have it but some don’t. They supplement in other ingredients for the Vitamin B3. Again, wouldn’t nutritionists be consulted?
All the things I read say “lower protein” and “need niacin”. I am curious if anyone knows the why?

Manna Pro starter grower 22% protein 35 mg/lb niacin
Purina duck feed pellets 19% protein 27 mg/lb niacin
Purina flock raiser 20% protein 65ppm niacin
Nutrena Country Feeds duck 18% protein
Nutrena all flock 20% protein
Mazuri waterfowl starter 20% protein
Mazuri waterfowl breeder 17% protein
Mazuri waterfowl maintenance 14% protein no niacin but does have fish meal and brewers dried yeast
Dumor duck feed 22% protein 35 mg/lb niacin
Hi, Im having the same problem understanding how much protein and how much niacin goes into a ducks diet to live a happy healthy life as well. And if at a certain age you got to have them on a lower protein, yet how do you know how much protein is in a worm or a frog or some other insect that is unfortunate enough to cross their path? So I would like to know as well. And a lady at a local hatchery told me Dumor duck food is supposively a Do Not. And I have been giving them enough niacin to crap fire. What do wild ducks eat?

Hi, Im having the same problem understanding how much protein and how much niacin goes into a ducks diet to live a happy healthy life as well. And if at a certain age you got to have them on a lower protein, yet how do you know how much protein is in a worm or a frog or some other insect that is unfortunate enough to cross their path? So I would like to know as well. And a lady at a local hatchery told me Dumor duck food is supposively a Do Not. And I have been giving them enough niacin to crap fire. What do wild ducks eat?

To get better answers specify the type of duck (hen or drake along with breed and age) also the duck's size... As many are mixed and that helps to get a better idea of his/her needs.

Answers change drastically between one breed and another. All the best to you... I share your confusion.

Back
Top Bottom