Duckling Head Wound

mbphotos09

Songster
Apr 14, 2015
Watching Chicken TV...
One of my 5-week-old ducklings has somehow got 2 puncture wounds on her head! She has a small crest and the injuries are right next to/under the crest feathers. I’m not sure how it happened but my guess would be she might have got caught on some loose chicken wire that I haven’t covered with duct tape. I feel so bad... It doesn’t seem to be bothering her much though, she’s eating, drinking, and cleaning herself but she’s not as vocal.
Here’s a couple pics of it. Any advice on what to do from here? Should I clean it out?
08FD883D-FF85-4054-A595-EBF0D09B9E70.jpeg
9ACFB078-508D-44B9-96EC-A3E62E46D2F8.jpeg

BFC5A879-3524-4CBA-AB4B-6BA0B27D7052.jpeg

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• A29EAD58-1FC6-4EAF-A286-B2E4CB59A6C9.jpeg
    A29EAD58-1FC6-4EAF-A286-B2E4CB59A6C9.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 2
I'd be tempted to apply antibiotic ointment, make sure the chickens are not pecking at it, and be on guard for fly strike. Good luck for a rapid resolution.

I'd be tempted to apply antibiotic ointment, make sure the chickens are not pecking at it, and be on guard for fly strike. Good luck for a rapid resolution.
Thank you! I cleaned it with just a wet cloth last night so I’ll put some ointment on it now. As for keeping the chickens from pecking it, I don’t have any Blue-Kote to spray on it but I have some Apple Bitter Spray that I use for my dogs. Would that work, or no?

Thank you! I cleaned it with just a wet cloth last night so I’ll put some ointment on it now. As for keeping the chickens from pecking it, I don’t have any Blue-Kote to spray on it but I have some Apple Bitter Spray that I use for my dogs. Would that work, or no?
No..Blue kote actually won't deter them from pecking. Separate the Duckling now.

I have unfortunate news. When I got up early this morning to take care of the animals, both my ducklings had passed away. I’m not sure how or why but I’m heartbroken and feel like the worst duck owner. They both seemed fine at about midnight last night but at 8 this morning they were gone.
Thank you both for trying to help my girl. :(

Do you have Chickens with it or adult Ducks? Trauma to a crested Ducks crest can cause brain damage because the skull isn't closed.
I actually just had my two 5-week-old ducklings together but I let them out in the yard (under supervision) with my chickens once a day. So that’s why I was wondering if I need to spray anything on it.

I have unfortunate news. When I got up early this morning to take care of the animals, both my ducklings had passed away. I’m not sure how or why but I’m heartbroken and feel like the worst duck owner. They both seemed fine at about midnight last night but at 8 this morning they were gone.
Thank you both for trying to help my girl. :(
That's terrible. Next time don't get crested or house with Chickens.
Sorry that happened...

That's terrible. Next time don't get crested or house with Chickens.
Sorry that happened...
Thank you.
They weren’t housed with the chickens, they were completely separate. I do know the crest injury wasn’t from one of my chickens because they hardly ever interacted and if they did, I was right there. And yes I won’t get crested next time, but I didn’t intend to get them in the first place. It just kinda happened.

Thank you.
They weren’t housed with the chickens, they were completely separate. I do know the crest injury wasn’t from one of my chickens because they hardly ever interacted and if they did, I was right there. And yes I won’t get crested next time, but I didn’t intend to get them in the first place. It just kinda happened.
I understand and best wishes...

Back
Top Bottom