Duckling leg/foot injury

Blackfoxfarm

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
First, I really appreciate the opportunity to be able to come here and get advice. Thank you!

I was doing my last late night check/cleaning/watering of our ducklings who are now 1 week old. We have 21 - 7 Cayuga, 7 Khaki C. and 7 Welsh Harlequins. Love them! I propped my cell on the corner of the brooder box to shine a little light while I cleaned and filled the water trays. The edge must have wobbled enough to knock the phone in - it’s been a long day and I am exhausted at this point. In hindsight I remember making a mental note the other evening that this was not a safe idea. The phone fell on my sweet K.C. and she immediately ran and sat down. The others came running back to the water but when she did not I knew she was hurt. I think I saw her foot just as the corner of the phone hit her. She was hobbling when she did try to walk. She didn’t seem to be in pain as I touched her little foot everywhere. After some quick reading, we put her in some warm water. She kept her foot curled up but would extend it partially. She wouldn’t really swim and seemed to sink a bit (it was less than 2” of water in a small space) so I held her up and she seemed to try to maneuver around but still protecting her right foot. I massaged her foot a bit in the water and she didn’t seem to mind at all. I don’t see any difference in her right foot compared to her left. Since it is late I put her back in the brooder box (6’x6’ with a large heating plate). She hobbled back to her crew. I did mark her toenail with red sharpie so we could check her tomorrow (hoping she will be fine). Is there anything else I could or should do for her?

Check in the morning for any signs of it changing. It should be fine as long as their was no heat or swelling to the foot. It sounds like she was just a little Sore from the impact. Just give it a few days to heal. This is defiantly not something to worry about unless it gets worse over the next few days.

Hope this sorts out for you!

And welcome to BYC!!

Check in the morning for any signs of it changing. It should be fine as long as their was no heat or swelling to the foot. It sounds like she was just a little Sore from the impact. Just give it a few days to heal. This is defiantly not something to worry about unless it gets worse over the next few days.

Hope this sorts out for you!

And welcome to BYC!!
Thank you!

Update: At morning feeding, seemingly no change. She won’t use the foot/leg at all; it looks the same. She hobbled over to drink and let me support her to help her stand but she wouldn’t eat. I tried a couple times to lead her to the feed but decided to leave them quiet and hopefully she would go eat. I have to be out today for about 4-6 hours and am wondering if I should separate her (with a companion or two) into an infirmary space. Maybe I should wait until tonight...

Update: At morning feeding, seemingly no change. She won’t use the foot/leg at all; it looks the same. She hobbled over to drink and let me support her to help her stand but she wouldn’t eat. I tried a couple times to lead her to the feed but decided to leave them quiet and hopefully she would go eat. I have to be out today for about 4-6 hours and am wondering if I should separate her (with a companion or two) into an infirmary space. Maybe I should wait until tonight...
That seems like a good plan. Has there been any change at all?

Back
Top Bottom