Duckling primary feathers are deformed

jennifleur

Songster
6 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Temecula
I’ve hatched out hundreds of ducklings but I’ve come across something strange in one of my ducks. I have a lavender Muscovy duck that is growing in its flight feathers. I started to notice feathers that look as if the feather instead of coming out of the quill, were rotting inside the quill. Like long black tubes that are softer than normal and kind of hanging or dangling. I caught the duckling and got a closer look. I thought maybe some of the primaries had been injured in someway, maybe from another duck and that the feather had died. I tried cutting off the tip of one and no blood. I spread the wing out and it felt like there were more of these soft black almost noodle feathers. I clipped more of the feather and hit blood. I couldn’t stop the bleeding so got pliers and pulled it out. It looks like every one of the wing feathers is actually a double feather. With a healthy normal feather emerging from the quill and than another feather under it coming out of the same quill that is deformed. The deformed feather looks like a beat up flexible straw filled with black paste. I’m not sure what I should do to help this duck. Has anyone seen anything like this? I tried searching for more info and pulled up tons of angle wing info but nothing that talks about a healthy wing feather with another malformed feather coming out of the same quill. It looks like every primary feather is affected and possibly more of the other smaller wing feathers as well. Thank you for you time

1147E86E-122A-4C52-9E09-FD32D42B2C5A.jpeg

Sorry the poor thing doesn’t want me to get too close after man handling her, best pictures I could get at the moment. The other ducks from that hatch are normal. I’m pretty rusty on posting and had to do the pictures separately. It’s coming back to me.

This is strange, I hope someone knows what this is. I have muscovy and have never seen this before.
Healthy otherwise?
Yes, active, well formed, no angel wing or leg issues. The only difference I’ve noticed is that she doesn’t seem to preen her wing feathers or practice flapping as much as her siblings. That’s a pretty recent difference, until her wing feathers started growing in I thought she was completely normal. She does seem more skittish lately, maybe it is painful?

Back
Top Bottom