DUCKLING PROBLEMS ):

and should i let him sleep? My finace is freaking me out because he said with people that if you have a concussion they say don't go to sleep. Ugh I just want him to be ok

With head trauma, full post concussion syndrome shows up hours after the initial trauma. So *concussion* at this stage would make sense.

In a shaking, the brain gets jarred and that back and forth can cause coup and counter coup trauma...bruising on either or both sides of the brain. The delayed symptoms are due to swelling, which develops over time....I absolutely possible to survive a concussion. Lots of TLC, frequent but small feedings, electrolytes as @Amiga suggested, keep warm, and rest. If we are seeing a concussion don't be too alarmed if walking is effected (looking drunk or loopy).

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
1/3 cp sugar to gal room temp/tepid water. It's perfectly fine to allow him to sleep bc you'll be checking him frequently/waking him for small feedings. Chopped up egg yolk from boiled egg would give a nice kick of protein and may be exciting enough to get him to eat if he starts to bore of your frequent nudging.

Sidenote: sleeping after a concussion is fine as long as someone wakes the concussed every two hours. The purpose of this is not physical, but rather to check for worsening of symptoms. The concern with letting a concussed being (human or animal) sleep indefinitely is that *if* symptoms were worsening, you would not know and therefore could not step up your intervention in a timely manner. You got this! It's always possible that something else is going on but you're doing the best you can with the information you have (witnessing the attack)....hang in there!

He doesn't seem to want to eat ): But he is drinking. I tried to put normal food and the egg yolk (boiled) up to his beak but he doesnt want it.

That's ok, keep trying at different times. He's likely nauseous, that would be totally normal and just part of the deal. Keep up the hydration and offering food.....how old, exactly, is this hatchling?

He was born two days ago. This morning he is doing good. He was drinking last night but no food. Not sure if i should still keep him inside or return him to his mom

i tried to pick him up and he freaked out and ran as fast as he could. I put in on my bed with a fuzzy blanket to maybe mimmic fur or feathers to feel safe. He buried himself in under it

Back
Top Bottom