Duckling runt?

cynrg8

Chirping
May 24, 2020
I’m hatching a few of my duck eggs and I had this little one hatch two days ago. It pipped right on time but did seem to struggle completely freeing itself. This little one at three days old now is still smaller than a one day old silkie and less than half the size of the other ducklings that are just now hatching. Is there anything that could’ve caused the stunted growth? And anyone else who’s has hatched a runt, did it survive? I attached some side by side comparisons of the little guy for size reference

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpeg
    IMG_8592.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8594.jpeg
    IMG_8594.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 6
He’s a cutie. I love the runts. Sometimes that just happens. Make sure he’s getting enough food and water and there isn’t too much competition for him to get it!

I have a runt, Speck, who is doing pretty good at 19 days old.

Here’s what seems to have helped:
Offering 2 dishes of food, one plain dry starter feed (plus nutritional yeast), and the other one wetted food. Speck started eating a lot more when I offered wet food.

Supplementing with liquid vitamin b, and vitamin E. For whatever reason, the vitamin E really seemed to turn things in the right direction for Speck.

Supplementing Speck’s diet with hard boiled or scrambled duck eggs everyday, for extra calories. This also boosted growth when I started.

I also gave nutri drench at first.

Speck is currently about 1/3rd the size of my other ducklings, but she’s gaining weight rapidly now and I’m feeling optimistic.

Good luck with your duckling 🥰

Back
Top Bottom